DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to stop replication without affecting the secondary DB DML

How to stop replication without affecting the secondary DB DML

Hi all,
    I am new to oracle replication. I want to stop the replication in multi master replication(oracle version 8.1.7), in order upgrade the hardware in the primary database. I suspended the replication using the command EXECUTE Dbms_Repcat.Suspend_Master_Activity(gname => 'REPGRP'); But the database status become queisced. So any DML is not allowed into secondary database.

How to stop the replication, without forcing the database into queisced state? or How to stop the replication without affecting the DML in secondary database?

Thanks and Regards
    Kumar

Did u check the status of replication?. Are there any deffered transactions?.With which user u are executing the mentioned command.If there are any deffered tarnsactions try to finish them first before suspending replication.Check log files for any errors.

When you suspend replication, the databases in question will be in a quiesced state (which is the normal and expected behavior) unless you do a execute DBMS_REPCAT.RESUME_MASTER_ACTIVITY(gname => 'REPGRP');

When the database is in a quiesced state, no dml is allowed on any of the replicated databases especially on the replicated objects. If dml is allowed to happen on one of the databases, the databases or tables will be out of sync. That's the whole point of doing replication.