DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start OMS service on win 2k3 server

Question Can't start OMS service on win 2k3 server

Hello everybody, I have a problem with OEM configuration (Oracle 9.2.0.1.0) in Windows 2003 Server, I already configured the repository and Enterprise mannager, I'm able to connect to the repository using the same credentials with SQL*Plus and using OEM as standalone but the service can't run, I don't have this problem with Win NT, Win 2K Server, Advanced Server or other versions, only with 2003 Server and I need to test it with this OS because we need to migrate all of our servers.
    Last edited by maguila; 11-24-2004 at 05:39 PM.

I don't use OEM a whole lot. But the first place to start looking would be your logfiles. Post messages/errors from your oms.log files ($ORACLE_HOME/sysman/log).

If you don't see much information there, enable tracing/logging and you'll begin to see stuff. See Note 177241.1 on how to enable logging on the management server.

Microsoft takes security very seriously and as such Windows 2003 will not allow any programs to run - in this way they cannot be comprimised. What a peice of crap - get me out of here. I'm running oracle on win 2003 box and after running windows update terminal server won't allow anyone on - so far 3 admins and a team of trained monkeys have been unable to resolve this issue for me
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Re: Can't start OMS service on win 2k3 server

Originally posted by maguila
    Hello everybody, I have a problem with OEM configuration (Oracle 9.2.0.1.0) in Windows 2003 Server, I already configured the repository and Enterprise mannager, I'm able to connect to the repository using the same credentials with SQL*Plus and using OEM as standalone but the service can't run, I don't have this problem with Win NT, Win 2K Server, Advanced Server or other versions, only with 2003 Server and I need to test it with this OS because we need to migrate all of our servers.
    What error do you get when you try to start the service? Sounds like your underlying database is ok, and your listener is up. What does the oms.nohup log say?

Re: Re: Can't start OMS service on win 2k3 server

Originally posted by bazza
    What error do you get when you try to start the service? Sounds like your underlying database is ok, and your listener is up. What does the oms.nohup log say?
    Thanks to all

Good question, I don't know anything about Java or how to make it work but it seems to be a language issue, here is the log output:

Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException: 
    	at java.util.Hashtable.get(Hashtable.java:259)
    	at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.connectionLost(VxaAppServer.java:1474)
    	at oracle.sysman.vdg.VdgAgentGatewayImpl.initiateExitAndRestart(VdgAgentGatewayImpl.java:689)
    	at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgConnection.pollForConnectionEvents(VdgConnection.java:2087)
    	at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.inConnPollLoop_(VdgListenThread.java:427)
    	at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.run(VdgListenThread.java:362)
    	at oracle.sysman.vtaGallery.threadPoolManager.WorkerThread.run(Worker.java:271)
    "Could not start management server. Initialization failure"
    There are a lot of notes on Metalink about getting this message, I will read some of them and try changing the language of the OS, if these fails I will appreciate any idea.

Originally posted by stmontgo
    . . . terminal server won't allow anyone on . . .
    Not sure what you're saying here. There have been incompatibilities between Terminal Server and various Oracle goodies (OUI for example) in various versions - MetaLink may help.

Cause: When the OMS is using JDBC to connect to the database, especially
    when it has been configured to use the THIN driver, an exception
    can be thrown when it is unable to parse the connect string.
    Fix: Use a JDBC connect string to connect to the OEM Repository, and not a
    SQL*Net TNS service name. The JDBC connect string is of the form:
    "host":"port":"sid"
    Where exactly can I change the OEM's connection string, they say "Use Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant to edit configuration paramters,, but I can't change de kind of connection it will try to use, just TNS way.

Well, now de OMS Service starts, here is what I did:

in the file omsconfig.properties, changed the parameter "OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE" to the JDBC description ("host":"port":"SID"), not just TNS name.

After this the service starts but I can't conect to OMS with OEM due to "oracle.sysman.emSDK.client.omsClient.ClientException"
    All the Metalink docs that gives an answer say things about firewall configuration but I am on the same computer and can connect with te same credentials with SQL*Plus

Now I can connect to OMS, I just changed the region to DEFAULT in EMCA and it runs, but can't connect to Agent so I can't administer the node so I can't do anything yet

Originally posted by maguila
    Now I can connect to OMS, I just changed the region to DEFAULT in EMCA and it runs, but can't connect to Agent so I can't administer the node so I can't do anything yet
    What do you mean you cant 'connect' to the agent? Do you mean you cant discover a node? Are you talking about a remote agent or the agent on the box where the oms/repository is?

Is the agent running? Clean start the agent (note on metalink how to do this), are the ports the agent uses (1754 and 1748 off the top of my head-better check) and the ports that the OMS uses (7773 and 7772 - again check these on metalink) open? If its a remote agent, is DNS configuration ok? can you nslookup and reverse nslookup from each machine to the other?