DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Absolute stupidity..
    And you wonder why companies don't do a more through check on the people whom they trust to run the heart beat of the company.

You know, I really don't know if having people who know nothing about Oracle database administration being in such a position is good for us (the people who know wtf they're doing). If it will hurt us in the long run or benifit us (at least financially)?
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

I think some of you are being a bit over critical, the poster does'nt claim to be an expert or running this on behalf of a company so why the attack. Sure thier way of solving the problem was not perfect but "absolute stupidity" I think not!

Remeber all of us have to start somewhere and all of us at some time have overworked a solution.

And to be fair it is running on Windoz where basically the answer to most problems is to reinstall
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I know whats in it, my point was why anyone would go editting it when it clearly looks like it shouldnt be edited
    It was not the question of editing the spfile .Rather copying parameters from it and creating a new pfile since the spfile was not working
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Re: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Originally posted by danielrc15
    I am running 10G on Windows XP, I edited my SPFILE by mistake, and now I believe it is corrupt.

Daniel
    he edited it, he wasnt copying contents from it - he was editing it, which is stupidity as it clearly shouldnt be edited

Read what is written next time

Re: Re: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Originally posted by davey23uk
    he edited it, he wasnt copying contents from it - he was editing it, which is stupidity as it clearly shouldnt be edited

I may be way off the mark here (its been a while since I played with SPfiles) but isn't it possible to corrupt them if you alter a parameter online and do a typo on the parameter value whilst doing it?

Apologies in advance if I'm talking crap.

Re: Re: Re: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Originally posted by bazza
    I may be way off the mark here (its been a while since I played with SPfiles) but isn't it possible to corrupt them if you alter a parameter online and do a typo on the parameter value whilst doing it?

Apologies in advance if I'm talking crap.
    Think here we are talking about editing the actual file, perfectly possible to corrupt it then

No, not possible to corrupt it using alter system = ... as any invalid parameter wont be written to the file.

although you can make it so your instance doesnt start that way - but the file itself is still valid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Originally posted by davey23uk
    Think here we are talking about editing the actual file, perfectly possible to corrupt it then

No, not possible to corrupt it using alter system = ... as any invalid parameter wont be written to the file.

although you can make it so your instance doesnt start that way - but the file itself is still valid
    Right fair enough, I was a tad hazy on that. Better rtfm if I ever use a SPFILE

Originally posted by stmontgo
    open it with wordpad and create pfile from it's contents to get you back in business

He edited it alright.
    It was stupidity alright.
    But he has already done it and the talk was going on how to create pfile from a busted spfile.

You should read the posts and not only the mesgs
    Last edited by simply_dba; 11-26-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Oracle DBA

Originally posted by simply_dba
    He edited it alright.
    It was stupidity alright.
    But he has already done it and the talk was going on how to create pfile from a busted spfile.

You should read the posts and not only the mesgs

YOU replied to MY posts about him being stupid - which were nothing to do about recovering the file, therefore you were questioning what I had said

YOU replied to MY posts about him being stupid - which were nothing to do about recovering the file, therefore you were questioning what I had said
    No I wasn't .I just gave an idea to recreate the pfile from the spfile.Does that make u angry?

Oracle DBA