DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

Corrupt SPFILE & no back up - now what?

I am running 10G on Windows XP, I edited my SPFILE by mistake, and now I believe it is corrupt.

The DB will not startup, all I can do is SQLPLUS /NOLOG.

How can I start my DB back up?

Thanks

Daniel

create spfile from pfile;

that is if you still have one around.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Um, at least you know to take regular backups now

I have to admit I fell foul of this when I did some tesing ages back, but at the moment we don't use spfiles in production.

I guess someone may have a bright idea, I'm just wondering if you could recreate it manually using info from the alert log from the last time the database was started up, it should list all the non default parameters.

open it with wordpad and create pfile from it's contents to get you back in business
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

why on earth would you edit an spfile, open it up and you see loads of junk at the top - isnt that enough to at least think about what you are doing

why on earth would you edit an spfile, open it up and you see loads of junk at the top - isnt that enough to at least think about what you are doing
    Yes it contains junks but it also coantains relevent parameters and their values (somewhere doen below)
    copy--> paste

I'm just wondering if you could recreate it manually using info from the alert log from the last time the database was started up, it should list all the non default parameters.
    this also a good idea

the best is, of course , if still have the init.ora...
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

I ended up solving my problem by using another XP machine, installing 10G again with exactly the same folders and set up as my problem machine, I then copied over the SPFILE to the problem machine and it started working again.

Daniel

Originally posted by danielrc15
    Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

I ended up solving my problem by using another XP machine, installing 10G again with exactly the same folders and set up as my problem machine, I then copied over the SPFILE to the problem machine and it started working again.

Daniel
    wow major overkill for such a simple thing

Originally posted by simply_dba
    Yes it contains junks but it also coantains relevent parameters and their values (somewhere doen below)
    copy--> paste

the best is, of course , if still have the init.ora...
    I know whats in it, my point was why anyone would go editting it when it clearly looks like it shouldnt be edited

Originally posted by danielrc15

Daniel
    Absolute stupidity..
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"