DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Standby Database

Standby Database

Hi, all!
    About 3 months ago i had problems with recovering db:
    http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...hlight=recover
    To avoid such problems in future i'd want to create standby database.
    Is it possible for oracle 7.2.3?
    Please, answer me!
    Thank you!
    Tago.
    Tago

Yes, it's possible, but.....

- It will only be "kind-of standby" database, i.e. it's controlfile will be a normal database controlfile (standby database type of controlfile is not available in Oracle7.
    - You'll have to arrange the transport all the archived logs from primary to standby on your own, i.e. you will have to create scripts that will take care of sending newly generated archlogs to the standby.
    - You'll have to take care of archlogs being applied to the standby on your own, i.e. again you'll have to create scripts that will do this for you.
    -You'll standby will have to be in constant recovery mode, i.e. you'll not be able to open it in read-only mode as you can do with standby on 8i and above.
    -Standby switchover will not be possible
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    - It will only be "kind-of standby" database, i.e. it's controlfile will be a normal database controlfile (standby database type of controlfile is not available in Oracle7.
    Hi Jurij,
    Would you like to expand on that?

I set up a standby under 7.3.4 to satisfy Business Continuity Planning (BCP) needs - e.g. total destruction of the primary server - this was perfectly acceptable. Yes, transport and application is do-it-yourself, but it shouldn't take more than half a day to get it together.

There is "alter database create standby controlfile" in v7 - does that just create a copy of the normal control file?

I wouldn't bet, but I'm almost certain that STANDBY controlfile was only introduced in 7.3 - it was not available in 7.2, which is the initial poster's release.

Again, I can't verify this, I have no 7.2 documentation at hand (I have 6.0, though ), but that's what my memory is persuading me.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Hi Jurij and DaPi!
    Thanks for your answers!
    By searches of the documentation on creation standby db I have found the following:
    -A standby database in manual recovery mode operates only on Oracle release 7.3 or higher.
    -A standby database in managed recovery mode operates only on Oracle release 8.1 or higher.

Jurij was right-for Oracle 7.2.3 it is possible to create only "kind-of standby" db...
    Tago