DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Manager on Oracle 9i

Hybrid View

Enterprise Manager on Oracle 9i

I installed Oracle 9i the Enterprise version. I set up everything as default.

The Http server starts fine and Enterprise Manager works, but I also want to use it through the web browser. Do I need to configure anything else or no?

I tried accessing it by http://machinename:3339

and that would not come up, I also tried port 7777 and port 80 and still nothing.

I looked at the httpd.conf file for the Apache server and the only port I see it started on is port 80.

Does Apache use multiple ports for different things, or is everything off of one port and I need to specify some sort of directory structure such as /oem etc after the machine name and port.

I looked online but did not find any resources for this, and I did successfully set it up once before.

Thanks in advance.

You can use iSql from a web browser, not the Enterprise Manager in 9i.
    Last edited by thomasp; 11-18-2004 at 05:56 AM.

Actually thats not strictly true, you can use some OEM 9i functionality through a web browser, you can look at reports and stuff.

But its limited compared to Grid, and I haven't done it in a long time.

Sorry, my mistake. I remember doing the same some time back by configuring and generating reports and accessing them via

http://localhost:3339/em/OEMGenerati...DB_Alert_Items

All you need a web server (Apache) running on the box where OMS sits. Check out the oracle docs section where it says "Running OEM Console from a Web Browser"
    Reddy,Sam

Actually I got it working on localhost:3339

I had to include http:// in front of it, so the browser did not assume. I guess I should of known better to include it then dont and assume.

Well The Oracle 9.2 EM starts up in both console mode and through the web browser. It then tries to connect to the OMS (Oracle Enterprise Manager) it fails.

So I went through the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant. I had it create it's own repository and everything. I then shutdown and restarted everything and made sure all services were running.

I then did oemctl status oms but this failed since it said oms was not running.

So then I entered oemctl start oms

Now this attempted to start it but it failed. I also tried to start it from the services tab in XP. It also started up then shutdown immediately.

I looked at the oms.nohup file and it failed when trying to attach to the ORB file.

I did a search on google for all of these.

The conclusion I come to is Java is not installed correctly.

I am thinking of uninstalling java and oracle completely, then just have Oracle install its own Java and see if it works. If it doesnt then I will try the same thing with Sun's latest version of Java and hope it works.

If anyone can give me anymore ideas it would be appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is this box has 256 MB of Ram and I hope that is what is not keeping the Oracle Management Server from starting.

I had Enterprise Manager running on 8i, but this 9i is giving me fits.

Now I also know the 10g EM is backwards compatible with 9i. My question to you is, is the OMS installed by the EM or the Oracle Server??

Originally posted by djtomr941

Well The Oracle 9.2 EM starts up in both console mode and through the web browser. It then tries to connect to the OMS (Oracle Enterprise Manager) it fails.

So I went through the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant. I had it create it's own repository and everything. I then shutdown and restarted everything and made sure all services were running.

I then did oemctl status oms but this failed since it said oms was not running.

So then I entered oemctl start oms

Now this attempted to start it but it failed. I also tried to start it from the services tab in XP. It also started up then shutdown immediately.

I looked at the oms.nohup file and it failed when trying to attach to the ORB file.

I did a search on google for all of these.

Ok, you mentioned XP? 256 Mb is a tad low to be running an OMS, but probably still possible, check the docs for minimum requirements, off the top of my head I would say you need 512.

Oracle should install everything it needs java wise when you do the initial install. You can install, but try this first:

Anyhow, what version of database did you create the repository in? Is this database on the same server as the OMS?
    Is this database up and running? Is its associated listener running (the OMS needs this)?

Originally posted by djtomr941

and how did you jump to that conclusion

Update

Well the listener is up. I did a TNSPING from another machine using the service name and it was fine. I also did a TNSPING to itself. In fact I set up the repository ahead of time and because it would not start I dumped it and redid the EMCA and had it create its own repository and I pinged that.

I looked in the oms.nohup file and I found this in it about 2/3 of the way down.

Error in attempting to bind OMS Services over ORB. Shutting down oms

This was in the middle of trying to load everything in Java in the nohup file. I did a google on this and the only conclusion that I can see, because everyone said check listener etc etc. (which I did) there was one person who said it was a JRE problem. Since I looked at the nohup file and because it was in the middle of loading all the java classes etc it made some sort of logical sense, but I dont know anything about JRE except what Java does.

I did an uninstall and I am trying to do a reinstall.

I will keep you posted on my progress. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Update

Davey, here is part of my oms.nohup file

This part it lists 16 times in a row

java.lang.NullPointerException:
    at java.util.Hashtable.get(Hashtable.java:259)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.connectionLost(VxaAppServer.java:1474)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.VdgAgentGatewayImpl.initiateExitAndRestart(VdgAgentGatewayImpl.java:689)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgConnection.pollForConnectionEvents(VdgConnection.java:2087)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.inConnPollLoop_(VdgListenThread.java:427)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.run(VdgListenThread.java:362)
    at oracle.sysman.vtaGallery.threadPoolManager.WorkerThread.run(Worker.java:271)
    This part is where I actually start getting errors

oracle.sysman.vxx.vxxo.VxxoNameNotFoundException: VXX-2009 : Could not find service context
    at oracle.sysman.vxx.vxxo.VxxoEMORB.getNextBindName(VxxoEMORB.java:813)
    at oracle.sysman.vxx.vxxo.VxxoEMORB.bind(VxxoEMORB.java:333)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.cacheServiceIOR(VxaAppServer.java:1904)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.main(VxaAppServer.java:3150)
    exception VxaInvalidStateException{wstring reason="VXA-3032 : Error in attempting to bind OMS Services over ORB. Shutting down oms";}
    It then repeats the FIRST Statement that it repeated 16 times previously for another 2 times.

It then has this error

Error starting Oracle Management Server. java.lang.NullPointerException:
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.stopServices(VxaAppServer.java:1406)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.exit(VxaAppServer.java:2533)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.main(VxaAppServer.java:3166)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.stopServices(VxaAppServer.java:1406)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.exit(VxaAppServer.java:2533)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.main(VxaAppServer.java:3166)
    at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.connectionLost(VxaAppServer.java:1474)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.VdgAgentGatewayImpl.initiateExitAndRestart(VdgAgentGatewayImpl.java:689)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgConnection.pollForConnectionEvents(VdgConnection.java:2087)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.inConnPollLoop_(VdgListenThread.java:427)
    at oracle.sysman.vdg.vdgConn.VdgListenThread.run(VdgListenThread.java:362)
    at oracle.sysman.vtaGallery.threadPoolManager.WorkerThread.run(Worker.java:271)
    "Could not start management server. Initialization failure"
    I also get 3 errors in my windows event viewer as follows.

The process termination failed for JRE. %2.

The service has terminated abnormally. See the file C:\oracle\ora92\sysman\log\oms.nohup for details.
    Here is my omsconfig.properties

#OMS Configuration Properties
    #Fri Nov 19 17:11:11 CST 2004
    OEM.REPOSITORY.PASSWORD=35fc7dde5f32b331
    oem.BootHost=localhost
    OEM.EMCA_SHOW_WELCOME_PAGE=true
    OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=TOSHIBA)(Port=1521))(CONNECT_DATA= (SID=OEMREP)))
    OEM.REPOSITORY.LAST_CREATED_SID=OEMREP
    oem.BootPort=7771
    OEM.REPOSITORY.USER=TOMR
    OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE_ORIG=TOSHIBA:1521:OEMREP
    I can tnsping oemrep and it pings fine so I know the system is up and the listener is listening. I also used the complete EMCA wizard to create it all and the user so I know this is set up properly. But for some reason I cannot get it to work. The OMS server will not start, even after a reinstall. I uninstalled and reinstalled the JRE, pdated environment variables etc.

About the only thing I have not done is uninstall Windows and reinstall it. I have another machine here which is an XP SP2 with much more memory and a Faster CPU setup. I will attempt th same install and see what happens and keep you posted. I want to find out if it might be some sort of software/hardware conflict on this machine affecting it.
    Last edited by djtomr941; 11-19-2004 at 08:59 PM.