DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing from SQL to Oracle - Help Needed

Changing from SQL to Oracle - Help Needed

Hi,

Having 5 years plus solely on developing SQL databases,writing stored procedures and SQL scripts my company is now moving to Oracle.

As I have no expeience with Oracle databases at all, please could someone point me in the right direction with regrads to a good book or books or website which will show me how to develop Oracle databases, write stored procedures and queries and show me what tools I could use to do this

Thanks

Mark

Since you have 5 years experience in SQL Server, You will learn Oracle very quickly. With respect to SQL statements, you will not see much differnece b/c oracle 9i/10g supports SQL-1999 standards.
    Prior to 9i, CROSS JOIN, NATURAL JOIN, FULL OUTER JOIN etc were not supported in Oracle.

The main difference you will see is transaction processing.

To start with, read oracle concepts (9i or 10g) and administration guides from oracle corporation. These 2 are fundamental lessons. These 2 will teach you how oracle engine works, how rollback segments are used, how you can create tablespaces etc. You will not see any good books on those subjects. To a great extent, Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one oracle" will teach the subject you are looking for.

For PL/SQL, you can read Steven Feuerstein's PL/SQL programming book.

Last but not the least, when ever you come across any doubt, post a QN here. There are great people who contribute in this site quite often.

Good Luck.

Tamil