DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: init.ora file location

Unhappy init.ora file location

Hello,

I read that I need to increase the SESSION and/or the MAX_LOGIN_SESSION parameter located on my Linux Server in the Oracle 9i init.ora file to avoid some problems.

1) Where can I find the database init.ora file ?
    (under $ORACLE_HOME ??)

PT

Believe me if someone here tells you you may not learn much - relax and try the Linux find cmd. for it and your knowledge will definitely increase !!

Usually in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, buut it may be linked elsewhere. Try:

find / -name 'init*.ora'

to find all references. We all start somewhere!
    If I have to choose between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.

remember to create spfile to permanently modify the configuration parameter.

why do you need an spfile to store something permanently

when you start your db using nomount pfil=.... in 9i to alter your parameter file, it will only last until the db will be shutdown. In a
    normal operation where in starting db with STARTUP would be fine without other parameters. SPFILE(server parameter file) needs to be updated with the new init.ora value to make that effect.

Or was my previous post was just somehow confussing?

i dont user an spfile, all changes I make in the init.ora are permanent.

So why do I need an spfile to make things permanent

hey ptreves, you have been installing a nd creating database for a long time now if I remember right. And usually the first thing anyone creating a database encounters is the init.ora file which you still seemed to have never seen. That's really bad froma dba point of view.
    That is the file which defines most of the oracle parameters for your database.
    Like Ken mentioned, you will find it in $ORACLE_HOME\dbs most probably as a link or you may find it under the \pfile directory wherever that has been created for you when you created the database using the database configuration assistant.

Cool Comments

Hello,

Thanks for all your comments and feedback.
    Yes, I have been working on this migration project for about 2-3 months now. I have made a lot of progress. I succeeded in installing Oracle 9i Database on my Linux Server and installed Forms/Reports Services 10g on the same server and migrated my Forms/Reports application from 6i to 9i and deployed my WebForms over the Web. That part is pretty much workin after much sweet and tears and long hours.

However in order to deploy my WebReports over the Web, WebReports called from WebForms using Parameter Forms, I ran in to Report Services Errors such as: REP-50125, REP-51018 and REP-51019 in a reports trace file.

I have been reading related articles on metalink, that mention that I should increase the SESSION parameter in the database init.ora file.
    I found that there was no SESSION parameter in my init.ora file so it must use default values. I tried to set the SESSION parameter to 9999, and restart my Oracle 9i database. However, this has not resolved my problems with the deployment of my WebReports.

This is why I was asking this questions.

Any suggestions ???

Regards,

PT

Originally posted by davey23uk
    i dont user an spfile, all changes I make in the init.ora are permanent.

So why do I need an spfile to make things permanent
    I'd rather start my database by using STARTUP instead of the 3 commands:STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=..., ALTER DATABASE MOUNT, ALTER DATABASE OPEN.