DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: init.ora file location

Lightbulb

I think changing the SESSIONS parameters is not the right way.

You should increase de PROCESSES parameters that is directly related to the maximum number of sessions you can have.

In a "normal" database configuration, each user session is "attached" to one process. So, if the PROCCESS parameter is set low you will be running out of processes and getting the error "ORA-00020: maximum number of processes exceeded".

Also, you might try to setup SHARED SERVERS that is another Oracle feature that pools several processes an share them among several (a lot) user session. So, as an example, you could have only 10 processes handling the load of 200-250 sessions. Well, this is another topic but if you're interested we can talk more about it.

But for now:
    1. You should increase the PROCESSES parameter
    2. Quit the SESSIONS parameter. Oracle will calc this value from the PROCESSES parameter (1.1 * PROCESSES + 5)
    3. Parameters like LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS and LICENSE_MAX_USERS should be 0 (ZERO) that means unlimited (if you have this kind of license from Oracle).

Hope this can help.

Cesar Gamez

Unhappy Procedure

Hello,

Let me get this right, this is what I need to do:

1) Set the PROCESSES parameter to a high value in the init.ora file located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs folder (after shutting down my DB, of course).

2) Restart my DB

3) Run WebForms/WebReports

PT

Unhappy Initial WebReports Start-Up Errors

Hello,

What I find funny about this particular problem, is that I have is that these errors occurs mostly when the WebReports are called from WebForms for the first time (using a arameter Form).

PT

PS: Any comments about that ?

Originally posted by pgamez
    I think changing the SESSIONS parameters is not the right way.

You should increase de PROCESSES parameters that is directly related to the maximum number of sessions you can have.

In a "normal" database configuration, each user session is "attached" to one process. So, if the PROCCESS parameter is set low you will be running out of processes and getting the error "ORA-00020: maximum number of processes exceeded".

Also, you might try to setup SHARED SERVERS that is another Oracle feature that pools several processes an share them among several (a lot) user session. So, as an example, you could have only 10 processes handling the load of 200-250 sessions. Well, this is another topic but if you're interested we can talk more about it.

But for now:
    1. You should increase the PROCESSES parameter
    2. Quit the SESSIONS parameter. Oracle will calc this value from the PROCESSES parameter (1.1 * PROCESSES + 5)
    3. Parameters like LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS and LICENSE_MAX_USERS should be 0 (ZERO) that means unlimited (if you have this kind of license from Oracle).

Hope this can help.

Cesar Gamez
    not true, a session can have more that one process.

So my sessions could be low but still requiring processes to be high.

If you get max number of sessions exceeded you need to increase sessions not processes!

Lightbulb Re: Procedure

Originally posted by ptreves
    Hello,

Let me get this right, this is what I need to do:

1) Set the PROCESSES parameter to a high value in the init.ora file located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs folder (after shutting down my DB, of course).

2) Restart my DB

3) Run WebForms/WebReports

PT
    That's right, try it to see if it works.

Hello,

What I find funny about this particular problem, is that I have is that these errors occurs mostly when the WebReports are called from WebForms for the first time (using a arameter Form).

PT

PS: Any comments about that ?
    You might run these two queries to see the actual status of processes and sessions when getting those errors.

--
    -- Database processes Load
    --

select pa.value as "Max Processes", count(*) as "Actual Processes",
    pa.value - count(*) as "Process Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load"
    from v$process p, (
    select value
    from v$parameter
    where name = 'processes'
    ) pa
    group by pa.value;

--
    -- Database sessions Load
    --

select pa.value as "Max Sessions", count(*) as "Actual Sessions",
    pa.value - count(*) as "Sessions Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load"
    from v$session p, (
    select value
    from v$parameter
    where name = 'sessions'
    ) pa
    group by pa.value;

Originally posted by davey23uk

not true, a session can have more that one process.

So my sessions could be low but still requiring processes to be high.

If you get max number of sessions exceeded you need to increase sessions not processes!
    Thank you for adding that comment. I know that and tried to put things clearer.

Regards, Cesar Gamez

Query Results + REP-51018

Hello,

I set the PROCESSES parameter in init.ora file located in ORACLE_HOME/dbs to 9999 where it was set to 50 before.

I ran Forms/Reports application over the Web and still get the logon screen asking me for the username/password/database with the error:

REP-51018: Need database user authentication
    -----
    Running the suggested queries, these are the results:

SQL> select pa.value as "Max Processes", count(*) as "Actual Processes", pa.value - count(*) as "Process Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load" from v$process p, (select value from v$parameter where name='processes') pa group by pa.value;

Max Processes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actual Processes Process Free % Load
    ---------------- ------------ ----------
    14 136 9

SQL> select pa.value as "Max Sessions", count(*) as "Actual Sessions", pa.value - count(*) as "Sessions Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load" from v$session p,(select value from v$parameter where name='sessions') pa group by pa.value;

Max Sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actual Sessions Sessions Free % Load
    --------------- ------------- ----------
    11 159 6

SQL>

------

Your feedback is appreciated ...

PT

Re: Query Results + REP-51018

Hello,

I set the PROCESSES parameter in init.ora file located in ORACLE_HOME/dbs to 9999 where it was set to 50 before.

I ran Forms/Reports application over the Web and still get the logon screen asking me for the username/password/database with the error:

REP-51018: Need database user authentication
    -----
    Running the suggested queries, these are the results:

SQL> select pa.value as "Max Processes", count(*) as "Actual Processes", pa.value - count(*) as "Process Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load" from v$process p, (select value from v$parameter where name='processes') pa group by pa.value;

Max Processes
    Actual Processes Process Free % Load
    ---------------- ------------ ----------
    14 136 9

SQL> select pa.value as "Max Sessions", count(*) as "Actual Sessions", pa.value - count(*) as "Sessions Free", round(count(*)*100/pa.value, 0) as "% Load" from v$session p,(select value from v$parameter where name='sessions') pa group by pa.value;

Max Sessions
    Actual Sessions Sessions Free % Load
    --------------- ------------- ----------
    11 159 6

SQL>

------

Your feedback is appreciated ...

PT
    yeah, read the manuals and do it properly. Works every time

Angry Read Manuals ???

Hello davey,

What do you mean read the manuals ?

I increased the PROCESSES parameter in init.ora file as suggested and I still get the same problem with my Reports Services after Restarting my Database.

From the previous Posts, it looks to me as if only 9% of processes are used, this does not explain the reason I am gettings this error message, also, I set the PROCESSES value to 9999 and the query output indicates only 150 total processes.

PT

PS: Maybe this error message is not the cause but a side effect ???

Re: Read Manuals ???

Hello davey,

What do you mean read the manuals ?

I increased the PROCESSES parameter in init.ora file as suggested and I still get the same problem with my Reports Services after Restarting my Database.

From the previous Posts, it looks to me as if only 9% of processes are used, this does not explain the reason I am gettings this error message, also, I set the PROCESSES value to 9999 and the query output indicates only 150 total processes.

PT

PS: Maybe this error message is not the cause but a side effect ???
    quite frankly, i forgot what you rproblem even is - i dont even care anymore.

Pay a consultant to help you and stop the crap you post here

Ptreves,

Read this two metalink posts to see if something there helps you:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/..._id=401706.999
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/..._id=498898.999

I suggest you to review again all your installation/configuration and see if you missed something.