DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database upgrade on VMX

Hello everyone, we are going to be upgrading our oracle 7.1 to 8i soon. There are several 200M-2G databases running on the database. Can you please tell me what is the best way of doing the upgrade and what to look for, etc. Basically, any knowledge or experience that you have had on this would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Thanks,
    Afshin.

You can use the Migration Assistant to migrate. On the other hand, since the size of the dbs are small, you can just perform an export and import.

We are not migrating, we are upgrading from 7.1 to 8.
    Thanks,
    Afshin.

Well, based on what you are saying, it's a migration, not an upgrade. Upgrade is something like 7.1 to 7.3, but a migration is something like 7.x to 8.x

I didn't know that, so if I wanted to go from 7.1 to 8, I have to migrate? What is the best way of doing that?
    Thanks,
    Afshin.

Yes, you have to migrate. You will have to use the Migration Assistant and probably run a script or too. Check the Migration Guide for details. The other way, which I had suggested to you was an export and import since the size of the dbs are small. If you decide to use export/import then:
    -
    1. take full cold backups and exports of all the databases.
    2. install v8i, create the dbs, configure them and run import.