DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN Target Problem

RMAN Target Problem

Hi everyone,

I have had a corruption on my oracle server so I went to restore from one of my RMAN backups but when i connected to the target database it said i was connected to my test db (it even showed the test db id). the user i used to log into the target doesnt even exist on the test db so something has gone seriously wrong. Does anyone have any wisdom to impart on this?

Assuming that my recovery catalog is shot to pieces would it be possibe to create a new recovery catalogue and import my backupset into this catalog for restoration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have run out of finger nails to chew and caffeine will only keep me awake so long.

Thanks
    cheers

Simon

Your Oracle SID is probably set incorrectly, that's all.

Even if your recovery catalog were completely hosed, and you lost everything - you can still recover. Do a metalink search on dbms_backup_restore.restorecontrolfileto - to extract the target controlfile from the backup piece. Once you have that, you are pretty much good to go.

Thanks for that AXR2, it was indeed a sid error, the recreated password file carried a reference to the test db hence the log on.

One final problem is that I have the db restored but now need to apply archived logs which are within another backupset to combat an error i am getting where the db is requesting archive logs as below. I used the delete input flag when backing up my archives and cannot find any documentation which describes how to recover archive logs from a backupset. Any help would be greatly received.

ORA-00279: change 33260246 generated at 11/05/2004 22:31:04 needed for thread 1
    ORA-00289: suggestion : E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\HWLV\ARCHIVE\HWLVT001S24716.ARC
    ORA-00280: change 33260246 for thread 1 is in sequence #24716
    cheers

Simon

What was your restore script? Did you try recover the data file after restoring?
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by SimonG
    One final problem is that I have the db restored but now need to apply archived logs which are within another backupset to combat an error i am getting where the db is requesting archive logs as below. I used the delete input flag when backing up my archives and cannot find any documentation which describes how to recover archive logs from a backupset. Any help would be greatly received.
    Originally posted by Axr2

Do a metalink search on dbms_backup_restore.restorecontrolfileto
    Did you even try this?! Apparently not. If you did, you would see 3 articles pop up on Metalink based on the search criterion. The Title of Note 60545.1 says "How to extract controlfiles, datafiles, and **archived logs** from SMR backupsets without using RMAN". Scroll down to point number 5 and read for yourself.

In anycase, you shouldn't have to extract archivelog files manually for your situation. RMAN is usually intelligent enough to unravel the appropriate archivelogs for you. So how did you restore/recover the database in the first place? What were the commands you issued? If you had done a point in time recovery, you wouldn't need to be doing this manually..
    Last edited by Axr2; 11-11-2004 at 01:13 PM.