DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 73 client --> Oracle 9i server

Oracle 73 client --> Oracle 9i server

Hello,

We have just upgraded our database server to Oracle 9i, however all of the client machines are on Oracle 73 due to vender specific software. Is there a way to keep a 73 client stay connected to 9i.
    I don't seem to have a problem connecting. I just keep getting kick off with the following error in the sqlnet.log file.

thanks for any help....

VERSION INFORMATION:
    TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
    Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
    Time: 29-OCT-04 12:29:01
    Tracing not turned on.
    Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 12206
    TNS-12206: TNS:received a TNS error during navigation
    ns main err code: 12547
    TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
    ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 517
    TNS-00517: Lost contact
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

You will have to upgrade the clients to either 8i or 9i. 734 will not work with 9i.

7.34 & 8i client --> 9i server

Thanks for your reply bazza.

This probably sounds bizarre but here is how I'm set up.. I've got 7.34 on the client, because that is the highest version my application can use. I've also got 8i on the client, and now I’ve got 9i on the server. Since, I have all these versions of Oracle, is there a way that I can get to the Oracle 9i server from the 7.34 client through the 8i client.

I don’t have the money to upgrade all of my application, so I’m trying to determine if need to go back to Oracle 8i server if there is no way I can stay connected to 9i.

Thanks again for any help…

dont think you can. 7.3 and 9i will just not talk to each other.

Only way people have got 7.3.4 servers to talk to 9i servers is through db links through an 8i instance.

You are going to have to rollback the upgrade or upgrade your clients.

Surely you found this out in your test environment though

Unfortunately not… the problem is random, however naturally it appears more often in production with many more users.

Thanks for your help… Now, I think I’ll go get a job as a dishwasher or something....

Originally posted by bianco36
    Unfortunately not… the problem is random, however naturally it appears more often in production with many more users.

Thanks for your help… Now, I think I’ll go get a job as a dishwasher or something....
    Are you sure that 8.0.6 won't work? It might be an intermediate step until you can upgrade wo 9i completely.

Think you need to shoot the people who tested the system. Only thing I can think off, is to set tns_admin on the client machines to use the 8i tnsnames file (the 734 application will be happy with this) and see if that helps. I kinda doubt it, and agree you may have to rollback and do some proper testing (and research) into this.