DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change of IP address

Originally posted by yls177
    right. that is going to work for the oracle side. but i have problems with my SAP since it uses the hostname as well. And i cant change this to ip address.
    There you go, your DNS is wrong.
    Jeff Hunter

i am on /etc/hosts...

i am on /etc/hosts...
    so. The fact that you can connect from the server but not from a client tells us that the server's dns is using /etc/hosts but the network's dns is something different. The fact of the matter is you changed the hostname. Now you can't connect because the host can not be found. It's pretty common sense.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    so. The fact that you can connect from the server but not from a client tells us that the server's dns is using /etc/hosts but the network's dns is something different. The fact of the matter is you changed the hostname. Now you can't connect because the host can not be found. It's pretty common sense.
    Reverse nslookup should show you it as well.

i beg to differ. I didnt change the hostname. I only changed the ip address. And when i changed back to the original ip, i still get the same error messages. Whether its new or original ip address

1) i can still do a ping, telnet of hostname and ip
    2) nslookup is resolving to the same hostname and ip.

i beg to differ. I didnt change the hostname. I only changed the ip address. And when i changed back to the original ip, i still get the same error messages. Whether its new or original ip address

1) i can still do a ping, telnet of hostname and ip
    2) nslookup is resolving to the same hostname and ip.
    But can you do a tnsping? Of course you have already checked you listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files on the server as well as your tnsnames.ora file on the client and you should know for a fact that you aren't hard coding any ip addresses. You might also look at the sqlnet.ora on both the client and server for domain, encryption for anything the might impeed the connection.

And I would also assume that you have restarted the listener recently.

This is a networking issue. Maybe it's because of a router problem, maybe it's because of a firewall problem, or maybe your DNS is out of sync. Fact is, it's a networking problem. Moving...
    Jeff Hunter