Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OraInventory missing in Production server

Red face OraInventory missing in Production server

Hi All,

My database - Version : 9.2.0.4.0 Production 64Bit
    latest patch applied : Alert 64
    Operating System : Sunsolaris 8.
    do we have development : Yes
    Dev server/database Structure: Similar structure as in Production.
    including directories in OS level...
    Cluster environment :Yes.

Cause:
    REcently SAs reconfigured the file systems in Production and My another DBA gave a config plan to rebuilt by spliting the
    /u01 file systems to
    /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0 and
    /u01/app/oracle/admin/SID.
    Everything went fine. database came up all said operation success.

Problem:
    Yes As you are guessing OraInventory and oui directories are missing from /u01/app/oracle.
    I checked with the backup team...retension period is 30days. So no backup because it happened 45 days ago. Thats is ruled out...to restore them.
    Now I must apply the alert 68 patch to this server. It was done successfully in Dev box. We also noticed this issue only while preparing for that 68 patch.

ANy idea what to do?. Oracle is not giving any firm solution...what every I say..oracle says try....any expert opinion..

I feel to copy the OraInventory directory from dev box to production box and try applying 68. Even if it say already applied then use force option to apply this alert 68 patch. What you guys thinking about it. Appreciate your help please.
    Thanks,
    Thanigaivasan

The safest thing to do is schedule down time and re-install oracle. This is what our Oracle support guy just told me.

Right now No space to install oracle software...in that box.
    so software install is ruled out for time being..
    what about my suggestion/idea?. Anythought on that.

Thanks,
    Thanigaivasan

Robert said reinstall..

You could try copying it from the development box, but the safest bet is to start from scratch.

you could uninstall the current oracle home (leaving the database in tact) and re-installing - no space issue then

He can't uninstall. Oracle will probably throw a wobbly when he tries to uninstall it, as it records everything you deinstall in the oraInventory. The installer won't even recognise there's an installed product.

Not familiar with solaris, but best bet is to remove the oracle software directories and start from scratch.

you can wipe out the directories with an rm is there is no inventory as you said (what I meant before)

Will work just fine.

I have tried copying an oraInventory before (copying the entire oracle directories) from one machine to another - relinking it and then trying to add a patch and it didnt work (not to say it wouldnt)

I think best option is to trash the current home and re-install - taking backups of any config files / spfiles / init.ora files first

copying OraInventory won't work...Why?.
    FYI..
    In this box The software never get/got disturbed and every weekend 2/6 databases going down for backup and coming up with no issues... all are in cluster too.
    even the two setups are similar in all....
    Why the OraInventory will not work in different machine?. Then how it is accepting OraInventory from backup (restore).?. How the machine/software know this oraInventory is from same machine or from different one......?.
    Don't thnk I am asking too much please.

Thanks,
    Thanigaivasan

i dont know why it didnt work, it just didnt. I couldnt be bothered finding the reason why it didnt work as i wasnt that interested

Originally posted by davey23uk
    I couldnt be bothered finding the reason why it didnt work as i wasnt that interested
    especially when reinstalling the software in a different $OH is about a 20 minute fix.
    Jeff Hunter