DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lost RMAN database

Lost RMAN database

So here's the situation we're in: We lost the machine that has the RMAN catalog database on it and we need to restore one of our backups. I have all the files that RMAN makes when it backs up a database and the archivelogs that go with that backup. The issue is I cannot find anything in the RMAN documentation that tells me how to restore a backup with a missing catalog. Am I missing something simple or am I hosed?

Thanks...

no expert on rman, but isnt the information stored in the control files as well for the database you are backing up?

I do believe you are correct. A limited number of backups info is keep in the control file. The second issue that I failed to articulate is that the database we need to restore resides on the same machine we lost. So all I have is the backed up copy that RMAN makes. There doesn't seem to be an intuative way to discern where RMAN put the control file or how to access it.

Just curious: why do you have another DB on the same machine where the RMAN catalog DB is?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Create a new Catalog DB and manually add the entry for the backup file that you want to restore

I'm curious about why you think that think post still needs an answer.
    Do you think he is still waiting for an answer?