DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Hi everyone,

I exported some tables from a MSSQL Server database using the DTS package and a Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle.
    The tables structure and data was moved without any complaints to the Oracle 8i database (on Windows 2000 Server), but when I tried to query them I got the "ORA-00942: table or view does not exist" error message, despite the fact that the tables exist.

I can see the tables and their content in DBA Studio: they are OK. The tables and views are in the data dictionary also.

When I try to describe them I got the error: ORA-04043: object does not exist.

I researched on the Internet and noticed that this behavior is not new, but I didn't find a solution there.

Does anybody know why this problem happens and how to get around it?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

You most likely have one of two problems.

1. You are trying to access tables in another users schema without specifying ownership:
    desc somebodyelse.mybigtable

2. Your lovely conversion routine creates tables with mixed case on Oracle. In this case, you need to access your tables with double quotes:
    desc "MyBigTable"

3. If neither of these are the case, then show me the output from:
    Code:
    select table_name from user_tables
    order by table_name
    Jeff Hunter

- check privileges
    - check if the table names are in uppercase in dictionary.
    Consider:
    Code:
    scott@oracle> create table abc (a number);

Table created.

scott@oracle> create table "abc" (a char);

Table created.

scott@oracle> desc abc
     Name                                                              Null?    Type
     ----------------------------------------------------------------- -------- -------
     A                                                                          NUMBER

scott@oracle> desc "abc"
     Name                                                              Null?    Type
     ----------------------------------------------------------------- -------- -------
     A                                                                          CHAR(1)

scott@oracle> select table_name from tabs where upper(table_name)='ABC';

TABLE_NAME
    ------------------------------
    ABC
    abc
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

Of course, Jeff is always faster ... :-/
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

Originally posted by ales
    Of course, Jeff is always faster ... :-/
    Never question the speed of a Red Fox.
    Jeff Hunter

Paul,

I am a total Oracle novice.
    However I was experiencing a similar problem to yourself.

Perhaps the responses submitted already have answered your question but I will just add a short comment.

What I think was happenning to you was:

The DTS Package you were using was creating a table in the following format "PAUL"."TABLENAME".

Therefore a table was being created but you could only access it if you said something like 'select * from "TABLENAME"' or 'describe "TABLENAME"' . Select * from TABLENAME would return your error .

From my experience of using the DTS Wizard , if you change the name of the Oracle destination table to simply TABLENAME , with no double quotes you can then access it.

Now there may be a need to call it PAUL.TABLENAME or something but then I wouldn't know about that as I am an Oracle novice.

DD

Thank you guys,

You are right. It's about case sensitivity. The tables were exported with their names in lower cases and they were not found unless using quotation marks.

I exported again, I changed the table names to upper case (replacing "Paul"."tablename" with "Paul"."TABLENAME"), and everything was fine afterwards.

Thanks,

Paul