DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which the best politics for a Base OLTP 8x5

Which the best politics for a Base OLTP 8x5

Which the best politics for a Base OLTP 8x5 disconnect it all the night or leaves it on 24x7?
    Why?

Re: Which the best politics for a Base OLTP 8x5

Originally posted by hhbrazil
    Which the best politics for a Base OLTP 8x5 disconnect it all the night or leaves it on 24x7?
    Why?
    I think that you wanted to ask:

Originally posted by hhbrazil
    Which the best policy for an OLTP database that is used 8 hours per day 5 days per week, should I disconnect it all the night or leave it running 24x7?
    Why would I choose either approach?
    Well since you asked, if you only need your database 8 hours per day, you have time to do a full cold backup every night. But when the backup is finished running you might as well start it up again, since it doesn't cost any more by being open compared to being closed. you might also run your backups a little later in case the database is needed after 5 PM.

You might also generate stats at night to keep them fresh. Generating stats will help the optimizer shose the best method for returning data from a query.

And in your spare time you might want to practice some recovery scenarios on a test box, so in case something happens to your database you won't lose as much time getting your data back.

Did I answer your question?

If I'm only using a database 8 hours a day, I surely wouldn't want the first hour of operation to be wasted warming up my cache.

Personally, I advocate the philosophy of keeping it simple. I would leave it running all the time and perform hot backups during the slow periods. The first day you shut it down at 17:00, you'll get somebody complaining that they're working late that day because they had to bring their kid to the dentist and they want to make up the hours. Treat all databases like they are 24x7 because someday they will be.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    If I'm only using a database 8 hours a day, I surely wouldn't want the first hour of operation to be wasted warming up my cache.

Personally, I advocate the philosophy of keeping it simple. I would leave it running all the time and perform hot backups during the slow periods. The first day you shut it down at 17:00, you'll get somebody complaining that they're working late that day because they had to bring their kid to the dentist and they want to make up the hours. Treat all databases like they are 24x7 because someday they will be.
    Doesn't it depend on the size of the database and the transactions per minute (TPM)? IMHO, any large database with a high tpm, should be kept running all the time if possible. However, for smaller databases or databases with a low TPM, it doesn't matter as much.

I worked on a call center database for a company. Our largest database was almost 3 gigs, most were less then a gig. The performance was not any different after a restart then before a restart. It performed consistantly either way.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Personally, I don't see any advantage to shutting down your database on a regular basis.
    Jeff Hunter

... Unless you are using Windoz and you need to reboot every few days