DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: data warehouse

data warehouse

Hi friends,

We are going to venture into data warehousing. Can you please
    give links/docs/sites that i can read to begin with? My boss ask me to present a analysis/design/cofiguration/solution and the appropriate hardware/software/storage/etc for the warehouse.

We are keeping/monitoring traveler's info(arrival/departure) which is
    link to our immigration and derogatory system(blacklist/watchlist/hold-older). We have approx. 20,000 Arrival and Departure records daily, and will be kept for 10yrs (retention) in the database for query purposes. Management and statistical reports will also be maintained and generated.

Hoping for your kind assistance...

Cool

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Thanks LKB ,

Would anybody know what is the minimum hardware config. for an average Data Warehouse System? Can I recommend 2GB Mem and Dual processor Unix box as baseline?

Thanks a lot....

Originally posted by kris123
    Thanks LKB ,

Would anybody know what is the minimum hardware config. for an average Data Warehouse System? Can I recommend 2GB Mem and Dual processor Unix box as baseline?

Thanks a lot....
    ate,
    your recommendation will be based on how huge the data you are going to warehouse, how many concurrent users will it have, response time requirement. Adhoc Reports requirements.

Most probably 2G is less, dual CPUs would be fine(but still depend on how the requirement needs. Can probable start with 2CPUs expandable to 8CPUs.
    Maybe you need to pay attention also to storage planning like RAID implementation(RAID5). How often data will be updated, Data retention.

Thanks Kuya, (ate ka dyan)

Ralph Kimball has 2 realy good books about that:
    "The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit"
    "The Data Warehouse Toolkit 2nd Edition"

You may also have a look at the Oracle Doc:
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96520/toc.htm

Thanks kuya mike,

I started reading oracle docs about DW and i got questions i cant find answer to like...
    What are the requirements for an application to be candidate for Data Warehousing? Do all types all applications need a Data Warehouse? Is it only for applications with large database?

Thanks again.....

Originally posted by kris123
    Thanks kuya mike,

I started reading oracle docs about DW and i got questions i cant find answer to like...
    What are the requirements for an application to be candidate for Data Warehousing? Do all types all applications need a Data Warehouse? Is it only for applications with large database?

Thanks again.....
    There's no particular type or size ... the need for a DWh is generally driven by business requirements for rapid access to current and historical data. In particular it can be very difficult to get trending reports out of OLTP systems (eg. show me the historical trend on the number of customers uninvoiced for more than 30 days).

I shall also humbly suggest a series of articles ... http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora...ousing01.shtml
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave

I shall also humbly suggest a series of articles ... http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora...ousing01.shtml
    Nice article Dave....
    I'm yet to finish reading that article, I'm very much surprise and intrigue by some of your point of views. Like the issues of Separating TABLE and INDEX in TBS... needs to read more though...

regards.

Thanks mga kuya....im reading your article and (with your permission)copy some of the nice paragraph to my DWh project report to make it look good and impress my boss
    When is the next series coming?