DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ora-00372

Ora-00372

We have a large daily partitioned table. Each partition is in its own tablespace. We have set a few of the oldest tablespaces/partitions to readonly. However, when we are loading to the current partition, for some reason, we are getting the following error:
    ORA-00372: file 704 cannot be modified at this time

It is complaining about the datafiles that are readonly? However, we are not even inserting in those files. When we set the these readonly datafiles back to read/write the load executes fine. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure that all the rows that you are trying to low actualy go to "the curent partition"? If it's complaining about the datafile belonging to the readonyl partitions, then I'm sure that some of the rows actualy have their partition key values that qualifiy them for the partitions that have been made as readonly.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Yes, I have double and triple checked this. I even did a count of the rows in the readonly partitions and they remained the same after the load completed (when I brought the readonly partitions read/write for the load to succeed).

After doing some testing, I figured out what is causing the problem. We were utilizing sqlldr direct-path and it was failing everytime. So, apparantly, you cannot use direct=y when loading into a partitioned table for which any of the partitions are readonly? So, we changed to conventional sqlldr and things are loading fine.

Thanks.