DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how and when can delete archive log files?

I have configured my database with archive log mode. but now , I have a problem , the archive log files hold larger disk space , how manage these archive log files?

u will have to take tape backups of archivelogs and delete 2 day old archivelogs always

Archive logs

Hi Oramiller,

The archived redo logs are there to roll forward (recovery purposes) but they need a starting point.

In the event of (e.g.) media failure you need to restore a backup as a starting point..

Every time you take a backup of your database and archived redo logs you can delete the archived redo logs that were made BEFORE the database backup process was started.

So if you only backup once a week you have to keep the archived redo logs the whole week. Which can take up alot of space.

If you backup every day you can delete archived redo logs which are older then your backup.

HTH

tycho

Atleast 2 weeks Archived Redo Log files should be kept in the disk. This will help you very much when backup tapes are in bad shape.

If space is your problem, can you afford a downtime on your db. If you can afford that then cold backups are best possible backups and at every cold backup you can trash the old archived redolog files..and start all over..
    When in recovery, restore the cold backup and apply the archived redolog files..