DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Archive log removing statergy

Question Archive log removing statergy

Hi Guys,

We have database of 200GB.
    We are taking hotbackup using scipts on tape.
    Hotbackup starts every night and take back up of all tablespaces and archive logs.
    there are appox. 6-8 archive logs of 100 mb each.

I would like to know how many days archive we should keep in our archive_log destination. Currently we are keeping last 3 days.
    Also can someone highlight on how offen we should do log swith? Currently it is daily 1-2 times in one of the database and few other database it is 1 hour.

My concer in about a databse where i have log switch once or twice a day which has 100mb redo log.

Your opinion will be highly appericiated.

Thanks and regards,
    RBP

You can get rid of archived redo logs as soon as they are backed up. For most of my critical databases, I keep no more than 12 hours on disk.

Your logswitch frequency depends on the needs of the business. Oracle CW (to which I don't subscribe) is that the logs should switch no more frequently than every 30 minutes during periods of heavy load.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. It is useful to me.

RBP

If space is not an issue, then you can keep 3 - 4 days of archive logs in the archive dir. This will help you in case of recovery is needed.

There is no specific guidelines for Log switch.
    Instead , you should have a policy for MTTR. And set appropriate value for the parameter fast_start_mttr_target.

Tamil

I'd agree with Tamil on this. I'd feel nervous with only one copy on tape - ever started a restore only to find the tape was bad? :(