DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: move database from one server to another

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Backing up the controlfile to trace is a good way to see where all of your files are and to make sure that you get them. However you should not need to either recreate the control files or do a resetlogs. In fact you should not do either since you are doing a cold backup.
    From his description of the intended steps it is obvious that the files will be placed in different directories on the new server. So he *has to* recreate the control file with the new datafile locations (the other option would be to simply modify the existing controlfile with "ALTER DATABASE REANAME ...." comands in nomount state).

surnag, you will probably not have much success with your steps if you intend to use svrmgrl on 9i database - sqlplus might be more appropriate.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Jmodic,

thanks for your advice and also the others. But why do you say It wont be successful if i use svrmgrl ? what might be the reasons?

Because there is no such thing in 9i as svrmgrl. It is depreciated, it is gone, it is not available any more. What you used to do with svrmgrl in Oracle7/8 must be done using SQL*Plus in Oracle9i and above. svrmgrl simply doesn't exist any more!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thank you

Originally posted by jmodic
    From his description of the intended steps it is obvious that the files will be placed in different directories on the new server. So he *has to* recreate the control file with the new datafile locations (the other option would be to simply modify the existing controlfile with "ALTER DATABASE REANAME ...." comands in nomount state).

surnag, you will probably not have much success with your steps if you intend to use svrmgrl on 9i database - sqlplus might be more appropriate.
    I didn't see the part where he said the volumes were different. If that is the case then, yes, he does need to recreate the control files.