DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alert.log

alert.log

I have been noticing that the alert.log file seems to truncate itself and starts over with information nightly at the same time each night. It used to be a cumulative file and nothing has been changed on the server or to Oracle that would have changed this. It will create alert_log.001 and alert_log.002 files from the previous day but then tomorrow it will overwrite those to display todays information in those files and the alert.log file will start over displaying only tomorrows information at 12:45am. I haven't a clue why this has started happening. All my other Oracle machines are not doing this so I am not sure why the heck my production DB has started doing it. Any ideas? I used to have a problem with ArcServe Backup deleting my archive log files after the second backup but I have fixed that in the registry so I thought maybe there was something in ArcServe doing this file but since we don't run backups on Sundays and it did it on Sunday I had to rule that out.

Are you sure that somebody hasn't set up a scheduled 'log rotation' script in cron/NT Scheduler/DBMS_JOB? I don't believe that Oracle has the functionality to do this by itself.

What OS are you using? Sounds like someone set up this job and I hope that is the case. The thought of having files deleted mysteriously without reason on a production box is kinda scary.
    I remember when this place was cool.

I agree with other members that some has fixed a job which is truncating this log files.

I bet it was one of those *&%$ developers!
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    I bet it was one of those *&%$ developers!
    Sounds like the work of a dumb dba!