DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help...oracle 9i

Wink please help...oracle 9i

i have a database mydb(created during installation and it has REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE) which has its password file PWDmydb.ora in d:\oracle\ora90\database\.....and here is a way i created a new database manually

a) d:\>CD ORACLE\ORA90\BIN

b) d:\ORACLE\ORA90\BIN>oradim -new -sid TEST -pfile d:\oracle\ora90\database\inittest.ora

c) d:\ORACLE\ORA90\BIN>set ORACLE_SID=test

d) d:\ORACLE\ORA90\BIN>orapwd file=d:\oracle\ora90\database\pwdtest.ora password=apple entries=2

then in sql*plus

sql>startup nomount pfile=d:\oracle\ora90\database\inittest.ora

sql>create database test (with all other parameters)..

i have set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE IN INIT.ORA in d:\oracle\admin\test\pfile\init.ora

it gives error "create database failed.instance terminated.disconnected force."
    when i see the trace file in d:\oracle\admin\test\udump\ ..it says "invalid password file d:\oracle\ora90\database\PWDMYDB.ORA"...but it works fine and creates the database if i dont create the pasword file (as in d above) or set remote_login_password=none

question:
    1)why it shows that error in the trace file ( invalid password file d:\oracle\ora90\database\PWDMYDB.ORA) though the location d:\oracle\ora90\database\ has password file PWDTEST.ORA...why it is not picking up that password file.

2)when after creating database if i run utlsampl.sql the sql*plus quits but it do creates the user scott and those sample tables for scott...why it quits..

2)when after creating database if i run utlsampl.sql the sql*plus quits but it do creates the user scott and those sample tables for scott...why it quits..
    because it has an exit in the script

As for the password file - is it named correctly, some OS's have to have a certain name for the password file.

If u go through the documentation it says when u set the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE.The password file is exclusively ment for that database but u can add more sysdba's to that.Since in ur case there is already a password file(PWDMYDB.ORA) is there in the default location.Eventhough u created a new password file (pwdtest.ora) still oracle is looking into the old password file.So what u can do is drop the old password file and create the new one.Also sure that all characters should be either in lowercase or in uppercase.

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES...

is it not possible for the two database to have their own password files..IF YES ...THEN WHY IS IT NOT WORKING....or is the reason is that we have to create A PASSWORD FILE ARTER CREATING A DATABASE.....PLEASE GUIDE ME

To share the password file among databases you need to set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=SHARED. However, there's a limitation: only the SYS user will reside on the file.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels

thanks adrianomp
    I know that but can't two separate databases have thier own separate password files if yes then why its not working...please understand whole question and reply...i shall be thankfull to u

Definitely u can have an individual password file for each database.
    Did u check what is ur SID?. It is TEST not test.
    But while creating the password file u created as pwdtest.So set ur environment variables properly and try recreating the password as PWDTEST.ORA.AS I mentioned earlier u should be careful while creating and setting the environement variable they should have same SID.
    Last edited by akhadar; 09-29-2004 at 01:36 AM.

WINDOWS 2000/ORACLE 9I
    I HAVE DEFAULT DATABASE MYDB(CREATED DURING INSTALATION)
    (IT HAS ITS SERVICE RUNNING AS "ORACLESERVICEDB01" IN CONTROL PANEL->ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS->SERVICES)

how i created new database
    1)first of all i stopped that service by going to services in administrative tool
    2)I CREATED ALL THE NECESSARY FOLDERS
    3)oradim -new -sid TEST -intpwd apple -startmode auto -pfile d:\oracle\ora90\database\inittest.ora
    (this created new oracle service named "ORACLESERVICETEST"
    4)set ORACLE_SID=TEST

5)startup nomount pfile='d:\oracle\ora90\database\inittest.ora';

6)create database TEST (WITH ALL THE PARAMETERS)

NOW IT CREATED THE DATABASE FINE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM BUT AFTER CREATING IT I WAS NOT ABLE TO ENTER TO SQL*PLUS EITHER THRU SQL*PLUS OR THRU THE COMMAND PROMPT
    WHEN I WRITE SQLPLUS /NOLOG FROM SQL*PLUS IT GIVES SOME TNS PROTOCOL ERROR
    AND WHEN I TRY TO ENTER AS CONNECT / AS SYSDBA AND ENTER PASSWORD IT SAYS INVALID USERNAME AND PASSWORD
    BUT WHEN I STOP "ORACLESERVICETEST" AND RUN "ORACLESERVICEDB01" THEN I AM ABLE TO LOG IN AND WORK IN DATABASE NAMED DB01. BUT NOT VICE VERSA ..CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY IS THIS HAPPENING

check your environment settings before you to sqlplus - namely what is the value of ORACLE_SID

WHEN I GO TO DOS PROMPT AND TYPE
    echO %ORACLE_SID%
    IT SHOWS %ORACLE_SID%
    THEN I SET IT LIKE
    SET %ORACLE_SID%=TEST
    THEN I DO ECHO %ORACLE_SID% THEN IT SHOWS
    TEST
    BUT I THINK WHEN I EXIT THE COMMAND PROMPT AND RELAUNCH IT AN THEN DOES ECHO %ORACLE_SID% .....IT AGAIN SHOWS %ORACLE_SID%...IS THERE ANY WAY TO PERMANENTLY SET IT BEFORE STARTING SQL*PLUS