DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does any one know how to set up Explain Plan in TOAD?

Does any one know how to set up Explain Plan in TOAD?

Hi, Gurus,
    I have been using TOAD for browsing the database and it has a tool bar for EXPLAIN PLAN, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I am not familiar with configuration of TOAD. Can someone help?
    By the way, I could do explain plan with sqlplus comand line. TOAD is more visual and easier to see. Thanks for help.

Dave
    Still learning

Create a plan_table under the local schema and you should be set ($ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlxplan.sql). To use an existing plan_table, grant on it and create a public synonym.
    Either should do the job.

Thanks, Axr2,
    I found that the public synonym and grants are missing. After adding them, it is working now. Thanks very much.

Dave
    Still learning

Nice little wrinkle on this (thanks to Tom Kyte) is to create the plan_table as a global temporary table owned by SYSTEM with public synonym & grants. Cleans out the cr*p automatically at logoff.

From memory I think there is a script called TEMPS.SQL that you need to run to get thhe TOAD functionality fully working. This creates a TOAD_EXPLAIN_PLAN table that TOAD uses. The online help has a chapter on setting this up and will tell you where you can find the script