DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tns timed out !!

tns timed out !!

I have a new dedicatded OLTP db created on the NT server. I can connect to it locally. When I am tryibng to connect remotely I am getting tns timed out. Where as when I do tnsping it works OK. I set the connect_time in the listener on the server with a vig value and it still times out. ANy reason why ?? I can ping to the server, also tnsping and everything else works except when I try to connect from sqlplur, oem it times out.

Could be a firewall issue. Look up metalink.

don't think it's firewal. tnsping works and there is another database on the server that works too. Can't think anothing from the database which is preventing. I have proper OS authentication too.

1) Make sure your client has a single ORACLE_home on it.

2) Set up sqlnet and listener tracing. Look at the logs.

3) If you don't see anything in the listener.log, set up a windows euivalent of snoop/sniff. See if any packets are even coming into the database server.

Client does have a single ora_home. Have already traced for level 16 but from the output I don't see anything which tells me why it is not able to connect, or may be I am not able to red it right.

The only that has been changed is the server has been moved tio a different domain. I don't think that should matter. The interesting thing is I am able to tnsping the db but cannot connect. getting tns timeout. The sqlnet on the server has been set for connect_timeout=0, also tried with a very hig value. Oracle hasn;t responded to the tar which had the trace logfiles. Any clue.....

1. use the ip number, not the host name.
    2. trace the route of the ip number
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by dbasupuser
    (a) tnsping works and
    (b) there is another database on the server that works too.
    (c) I have proper OS authentication too.
    (I'm working from memory - which ain't too good):

a) I don't think tnsping is affected by port redirection - so this might not diagnose a firewall problem.

b) Are you saying sqlplus connects to the second db? or just that it responds to tnsping?

c) AFAIK, OS authentification is only valid for a session on the server.

Address points 2 and 3. Paste relevent portions of both logs. I suspect you wouldn't even see a connection in your listener.log. In which case, look at your sqlnet traces. You should see errors there. You got multiple nics by anychance?

Anyway, if you have a TAR open, I'm not going to waste anymore time on this.

Originally posted by DaPi
    (I'm working from memory - which ain't too good):

a) I don't think tnsping is affected by port redirection - so this might not diagnose a firewall problem.
    Bingo.

Originally posted by marist89
    1. use the ip number, not the host name.
    2. trace the route of the ip number
    Hi Jeff, If it were failing at the level of IP routing, I can't see how tnsping could work. Have I missed something?

(P.S. - how did you resist recommending a rebooot? )