DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get the controversey going again, I'll start!

Hybrid View

Let's get the controversey going again, I'll start!

This is on the CNN homepage right now.

"Iraqi interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, speaking to Congress, thanked the United States today for liberating Iraq and vowed that American sacrifices will not be in vain. "We are succeeding in Iraq, " he said. "Thank you, America, " he added, bringing a standing ovation from lawmakers. Allawi also said elections for a transitional Iraqi national assembly will be held in January, as scheduled.
    "

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM WOOFERS AND TWEETERS DAVE?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Heh heh heh. Here's your headline.

Man Put Into Power By Americans Says "Great Job, America!"
    Adds: "For the love of God, don't leave me!"

Seriously now, what would you expect him to say, if not this? The moment American troops & bodyguards leave him alone outside his fortified compound, he'll be dead. Right? There is absolutely no way that the interim PM of Iraq is going to stand before congress and mention the hard facts that large parts of his country are now entirely in the hands of insurgents, and that the body count is rising every month.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

You know, sometimes the glass is 1/2 full.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    You know, sometimes the glass is 1/2 full.
    It would be nice to hear it acknowledged by the administration that sometimes the glass is half empty, also, instead of the relentless spin. Do you think that the current situation in Iraq deservesd a standing ovation from Congress? Maybe for Allawi himself -- he's obviously got balls of iron - but with Ramala and Fallujah lost to "coalition" control this is no time for pats-on-the-back all round.

I accept that the administration is going to want to look on the optimistic side, and that the opposition to the administration is therefore going to focus on the downsides, but check the Apr-Sep numbers
    here. The trend is bad.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Dave, the Dems have the pessimistic side covered. And I say that without jest or bad intentions.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Dave, the Dems have the pessimistic side covered. And I say that without jest or bad intentions.
    It's their job, part of a "fair and balanced" political culture. In the UK I believe that the opposition party actually has a legally/constitutionally based requirement to actively oppose.

So in stating that the party in power is "optimistic" and the opposition party is "pessimistic" about any component of society (be it economics, culture, the military, business) is really not of value in political debate. It rather irks me to hear pundits imply that you can judge parties by whether they are "optimistic about America" or the contrary because the stated views of the parties are just naturally going to be like that based on who is in power.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Hey, look at us, just getting along fine-and-dandy!
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Let me just add that if you were in a society where the opposition party was optimistic and positive about existing govt policies, or even the majority of them, then that'd be the time to start examining the democratic process. Something would obviously be amiss.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Both sides are on the extreme, I do not hear a lot of "Iraq was good" from the left, and you do not hear a lot "Iraq was bad" from the right. I think the truth lies somwhere in the middle, this is the norm in most extreme cases.

Of course there's pro's and con's to the Iraq conflict, and one persons pros are another persons cons. Let me start a list of pros/cons here, and we can work on it together! I'll give the cons first, you state pros, okey-dokey?

Now some of the issues are going to be debatable, I'm sure, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Cons
    • Cost of $200 billion so far, and rising.
    • 1000+ US military deaths so far, and rising.
    • 12,800-14,800 civilian deaths so far, and rising.
    • Distraction from hunt for Al Qaeda.
    • Distraction from Iran/N. Korean nuclear development.
    • Isolated US from UN/world opinion.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE