DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle university courses - reviews??

Oracle university courses - reviews??

Is there any website where people have posted reviews of courses offered by Oracle University? Our training budgets might be opening up and I'd like to compare/contrast a couple of potential courses that I'm interested in. RAC ($1.5k) and/or 10g new features ($2.5k). Both the course contents look fairly decent..

I've not attended very many classes at Oracle University. The only ones that I was sent to (against my will) - was some crapola on Oracle Financial Analyzer, a long time ago. The only things that I got out of it were some 'free' doughnuts in the morning and some air miles.

From http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora...omeDBA02.shtml

Sorry to say, and probably at the cost of my own personal goal of ever working for Oracle, do not attend Oracle University classes (with two exceptions). A typical 5-day course will set you back $2500. In fact, any instructor-led course (the in-person kind) is $500 per day. What do you get for your $500 per day cost of attendance (assuming you are not having to take vacation time)? You get a cardboard box filled with the official course of instruction for that topic. You get a plastic combination pen/hi-liter and a small spiral bound notebook to use for taking additional notes. You may get documentation on a CD. You get to share a computer/workstation with another student. You get to hear the gospel as dispensed by the disciples of Larry (note: the instructors are typically very good and quite knowledgeable). You get free coffee and beverages and breakfast rolls/pastries, and if you really score, you get freshly baked cookies in the afternoon session. You get some personal attention if you are struggling on one of the several labs you do each day, but the class cannot afford to wait for you.

Don't get me wrong – attending a class from Oracle University (OU) is a great experience. The facilities are nice, you are well greeted and treated and you walk away with the definitive source of test questions for that topic's certification exam. Why should you attend an ILT class from OU? One reason is that someone else is paying for it. The other reason is that you have to in order to meet a requirement for certification.

Thanks for the response. Yup, they're overpriced. But look around..everybody's out to fleece you. My car dealership just milked me a good $80 to fix a leak in the tire today!

Actually, I was kinda interested in reviews of specific courses. Better yet, RAC and 10g new features..

The courses at Oracle are fantabulous. The material is top shelf. I finally got some PeopleSh*t training in March and it was 5 large for the week. The three course books I got were 90% white space - nothing like the stuff you get at Oracle.

I'm asking to go to open world this year or maybe a hotsos conference. They are the same money (or cheaper) and I'm willing to bet I'll be able to get a lot more info than a class.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Don't know if this will help but I went to the 9i new features about 2 years ago and the course was very good. The books I got from the course are invaluable. I would assume the same thing for the 10g and RAC courses.

I do agree with Stecal on the instructors they're very knowledgable.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

I did the DBA fundamentals a while back - he just peddled all the Oracle myths.

It really depends on the instructor whether it is any good or not

Suggestion - It would help to have a separate thread or forum where people could post opinions/reviews in general. Be that of 1) products 2) books 3) vendors 4) training courses 5) anything else

While stuff on 1,2,3 is easy to find, 4 is not readily available. I even looked on epinions.com!