DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would invalidate a procedure?

I don't understand the budget constraint. If all the developers can have a copy of the schema, why not YOU?

Hi Dapi,
    We are a company maintaining the I.T. Infrastructures of other companies who also belong to one Group of Companies. We have full control of all the production servers, but we don't provide services for testing/development areas of each company we give services.
    Any extra job will cost them and that is why I mentioned "budget constraints" aside from other factors like hardwares if they will be required them to have one.
    We try to convince them that there should only be one source of codes(schema/s) before it is put to live, but even this didn't materialized.

regards

Originally posted by reydp
    Hi Dapi,
    We are a company maintaining the I.T. Infrastructures of other companies who also belong to one Group of Companies. We have full control of all the production servers, but we don't provide services for testing/development areas of each company we give services.
    Any extra job will cost them and that is why I mentioned "budget constraints" aside from other factors like hardwares if they will be required them to have one.
    We try to convince them that there should only be one source of codes(schema/s) before it is put to live, but even this didn't materialized.

regards
    If money is so much the issue you can create two instances on the same box -call one test the other dev. And tell the developers that you would keep taps on test and anyone caught loitering in there would lose packing privilges...
    Life is what is happening today while you were planning tomorrow.

I think the point is that "they" are not prepared to pay for testing the process of putting something into production - so "they" pay later.
    Any extra job will cost them
    Guessing who "they" might be, you might ask "them" to stand behind and hold any developer that is in Mr.H's sights - could get two birds with one bullet (OK, stone, if you insist).

Originally posted by ndisang
    If money is so much the issue you can create two instances on the same box -call one test the other dev. And tell the developers that you would keep taps on test and anyone caught loitering in there would lose packing privilges...
    Hi Dapi,
    not possible, current prod server even needs memory and storage for its own needs.

Originally posted by DaPi
    I think the point is that "they" are not prepared to pay for testing the process of putting something into production - so "they" pay later.
    Yes, exactly, that is a point where somebody can claim who is PROACTIVE and REACTIVE to problems.

Guessing who "they" might be, you might ask "them" to stand behind and hold any developer that is in Mr.H's sights - could get two birds with one bullet (OK, stone, if you insist). [/QUOTE]
    The QA should also be included in that list. And I can let Mr.H use a GRAND CANNON to fire at "them".

Opps I should have address this to SDISANG

Hi Dapi,
    not possible, current prod server even needs memory and storage for its own needs.

Remember that you usually don't need a full-blown server for a Test/QA/UAT machine, since it probably only has to support a couple of users at a time. If you're using Windoze or Linux, have you considered using a PC with a big disk?

Originally posted by DaPi
    Remember that you usually don't need a full-blown server for a Test/QA/UAT machine, since it probably only has to support a couple of users at a time. If you're using Windoze or Linux, have you considered using a PC with a big disk?
    Actually, they have test server, as what my previous post claims. It's just a question of how it is being managed and who managed it...me, I only come in when they need me.