DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would invalidate a procedure?

"The only good ....... is a dead ......." The blanks have been filled in differently over the ages.

Yes, it's possible for a trigger to invalidate a proc: it depends on which direction the gun is pointing at the time.

Originally posted by DaPi
    "The only good ....... is a dead ......." The blanks have been filled in differently over the ages.

Yes, it's possible for a trigger to invalidate a proc: it depends on which direction the gun is pointing at the time.
    So can I shoot a developer too who claims that there's no way a trigger can invalidate a procs since it is not part of a table structure and it is not a dependent procs too?

Originally posted by reydp
    So can I shoot a developer too who claims that there's no way a trigger can invalidate a procs since it is not part of a table structure and it is not a dependent procs too?
    Hate to agree with a developer, but I don't see how a trigger modification/drop could affect a procedure or package.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Damn! You guys are out of control today, did they open up a new Starbucks or something?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by marist89
    That sounds more like a guess. If that were the case whenever a remote database shutdown it would invalidate every object that depends on it. This is definitely not the case.

Ok point taken, it would be removal of the db_link that would invalidate a procedure.

Originally posted by slimdave
    Hate to agree with a developer, but I don't see how a trigger modification/drop could affect a procedure or package.
    Slim, I think you have taken two rather silly jokes a bit seriously

Originally posted by slimdave
    Hi Dave,
    Now here's what really happened, it took me for a while before I did a conclusion that a trigger can affect a procedure or package.
    A developer test her program from the test area and it works fine. The SA/QA give a go signal to put the program on live. proc/tables where also updated. After awhile production users were suddenly calling us, informing that the application that they're using prompted error and that is in relation to the INVALID OBJECTS.
    After investigation, one table had discrepancy between test and production. And that is just a single trigger.
    Then the trigger where transferred from test to live and boom, previous INVALID OBJECTS becomes validated. We didn't change anything other than that single trigger.
    I didn't have time to investigate closer the trigger so I can't give you a concrete evidence regarding this, but one thing I know for sure, is that, that is the only changes we have made after the error, and after changes made to the trigger then it works fine.

regards

One thing,
    The test area just don't have a single schema representing the schema used in prod, instead each developer have there own copy of schema. I want to battle this thing out but it may cost my job.

Originally posted by reydp
    The test area just don't have a single schema representing the schema used in prod, instead each developer have there own copy of schema.
    That is an accident waiting to happen. IMO you MUST have something between dev and prod (call it test, QA, UAT, whatever) to server two purposes:
    1) to test the migration of changes.
    2) to provide end-users, QA or whoever, a resonable environment for testing (the chaos in dev is not appropriate for this).

Originally posted by DaPi
    That is an accident waiting to happen. IMO you MUST have something between dev and prod (call it test, QA, UAT, whatever) to server two purposes:
    1) to test the migration of changes.
    2) to provide end-users, QA or whoever, a resonable environment for testing (the chaos in dev is not appropriate for this).
    Yes it is.
    I already raised this issue to PM/IT Heads. Though it is a valid proposition we always end-up with budget constrain. And they take full responsibility for accident to happen.
    In my part, all I can do is make the production server invincible as much as possible. Aside from rman backups, off-site backup server, my standby database is not MANAGED RECOVERY mode so that in a scenario where in an object recovery/data is needed in a certain time, I have something that I can grasp with. Which actually already have happened twice.