DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Serious question about my future

Hello! i am currently studying on OCP DBA track, but it sounds like most of oracle DBA jobs require heavy experience ,and Developer has more chance to get a job if you don't have experience. I am still confused as to which way I should go to get a better chance ;DBA or Developer? seems to me if i know the DBA skill,it will be much easier to understand what the developer does. I know that most companies want a DBA or Developer with at least two years experience,but how can I get experience right after graduating from college?.

Secondly, Can anybody tell me about future DBMS market? Mostly, Oracle ,MS SQL Server,DB2,and Sybase.
    I am a MS sql Server MCP, but I believe Oracle is still the database software in highest demand on DBMS,ASP,B2B,ERP.. . ,but i think MS and IBM are trying to take over those markets .

Thanks for reading my questions, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards jung

:confused:

Talking Oracle is Oracle

Dear Jang

Oracle is oracle. Well i fell in love with it. You are probably new to IT but Oracle has long History. MCP or MCSE is just beginning to get into IT Profession. Do you know Oracle is for more the 80 platforms (From mainframe to Pc). It is a best choice. With 8i Oracle's market position far ahead then its competitor and in my view DBA is better then developer cause there is more thrill in administrating then creating applications.

Neaman

Unhappy what about Job?

Hi neaman,
    As he asked, which one is preferable to him as
    he don't have any experience??? Do you think
    DBA positions available for Fresh DBAs?????

I agree with you on "DBA is better then developer cause there is more thrill in administrating then creating applications".

Jang, In addition to DBA, tyr to get as much as of SQL-PL/SQL and how to used Packages available in Oracle
    for developing and debugging. Bcoz there are some
    hope if you expertize these things!!

Correct me if i'm wrong !

HTH,

[Edited by vimalp on 11-29-2000 at 10:12 PM]
    Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    Sun Solaris 8 Sys. Admin.
    A+

Unhappy ???????????????

So what's your point????

Heavy Experience=job
    Little experience + OCP <> job

jung

[Edited by jung1975 on 11-29-2000 at 12:16 AM]
    :confused:

I dissagree... if you have DBA OCP, good communication skills, and work well with people you will have no problem finding a job... Most companies are more than willing to hire a fresh DBA because they don't have to pay them as much and they have a clean slate... everything is fresh in their mind and it is easier to mold a new DBA to meet a companies needs...
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Talking Re: what about Job?

Hi vimalp

Yes that is true that developers get job sooner then DBAs. My point was that jang is underestamating OCP. Well
    as far as my job concern i have been with Pc since 1989. I have done jobs since then as computer opertor to System Analyst. After management degree i have worked for System Integrator and was pivitol in Buying Processing Module from PeopleSoft for our client. DBA post in future will be more then as Strategic Member of Strategic Teams of Enterprises.
    Cause at last is Information technology Revolution, who will manage the information for big Enterprises. I have System Administration Experience. So if jang want straight DBA job after OCP without any System Administration Experience then it is dificult to get job but not impossible. If you want know more about my self and views mail me.
    So you can tell but not make them.
    And jang the OCP is not how many years you work with Oracle but how well you know Oracle
    neaman

[Edited by neaman_ahmed on 11-29-2000 at 09:07 PM]

If I may participate,
    I found a DBA position without experience, and without OCP.
    I know that I was lucky and among the few, but I know of at least two others in similar situations.
    Of course it would be easier to find a DBA position after you have some experience, but the company I was hired by initially, was looking for a cheap DBA who they can mold. So there I was. Another friend got a position in a company that was looking to take some load off of the only Oracle DBA they had at the time. So she was trained by the senior DBA to do exactly what she wanted her to be doing.

So it is not impossible to find entry level DBA positions without experience.
    However, this will depend heavily on geographical locations. In the Washington DC area, where I am, Oracle DBA's are in high demand. The demand in other locations would undoubtedly be different.

So press on and don't be shy about asserting yourself and be sure to send out resumes everyday.

maachan

Talking Thanks Maachan,

Thanks Maachan,
    If you come across any openning for us, please
    let us know!! OR you can e-mail me if there any openning.
    my e-mail id: davol_us@yahoo.com
    I did OCP DBA in 7.3 and 8, now i'm going to upgrade it
    to 8i. I'm also preparing Developer 2000 and JAVA as well.
    I also did computer programer & analyst from CDI, Toronto.
    still i'm looking for the job, bcoz i'm lacking in experience :( :( :(

I'll appreciate any help! :)

Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    Sun Solaris 8 Sys. Admin.
    A+

Dear maachan ,

Thanks for clearing up things . Need your email i will be in Washington DC in next few months. mine email is neaman_ahmed@hotmail.com

Neaman

Wink Serious question about my future

sirhaggus

I have to disagree with you. My company will not hire someone without experience or who has OCP and no experience. We look for a minimum of 2 years experience. The only way we take someone with out experience is if they are already working for the company. That is how I became a DBA. I started as a programmer and was crossed-trained as a UNIX SA and Oracle DBA to support the system I worked on. When the DBA left, I moved into the position.