DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: database link not active

i dropped the dblink and created it afresh with the connector description as below - i got the following result - cudn't undstand from where did UII.US.ORACLE.COM emerge ?????????

SQL> drop database link uii.world;

Database link dropped.

SQL> create database link UII.WORLD connect to strmadmin identified by strmadmi
    npd using 'UII.WORLD';

Database link created.

SQL> select * from uii.ar_classes@uii.world;
    select * from uii.ar_classes@uii.world
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-02085: database link UII.WORLD connects to UII.US.ORACLE.COM

SQL> select * from user_db_links;

DB_LINK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USERNAME PASSWORD
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------
    HOST
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREATED
    ---------
    UII.WORLD
    STRMADMIN STRMADMINPD
    UII.WORLD
    21-SEP-04

SQL>

thanks and regards.

"you seems to be confused between db link name and db alias name."

db alias names default to the db name if no other name is mentioned for that during the db creation. so in my case, pdsource is both the db name and db alias name.
    dblink name is the name of the db link that i create between "pdsource" and "uii.world" - which i have kept as 'uii.world" keeping the global_names parameter in the pfile = true.
    am i wrong somewhere??????

end of the day for me guys ...keep me posted with any progress..i'll reengage tmrw morn. bye

hey prasen999,
    I'm just wondering of where this tnsnames, sqlnet.ora that you are referring to. I'm not sure if you're aware that when creating db links, the tnsnames, sqlnet that is being dealt with is the one located between two servers(source and destination) and not the client. Please correct me guys if im wrong with this.

While creating DBlink between any 2 servers the important thing to note after keeping the global_names=true is to keep the global_names parameter like either 'world' or 'us.oracle.com' or what ever u like on the both servers as same which is not in your case.So use the Alter database command and keep the global_names same on both the servers and then create the fresh DBlinks.Then only u can see the link as active.

exactly, and that is why I want prasen999 to check his sqlnet.ora parameter default_domain. Because it is the one appended to the db link name after creating the dblink.

yes , that is true that in sqlnet.ora the default domain in the 2 servers are different - so does changing the sqlnet.ora default domain to be the same in both the dbs solve the issue?

thanks and regards

Thats probably because the global name is UII.US.ORACLE.COM.

Check what ur global name of the database is.
    Do a "select * from global_name;" and rename the global name.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

guys, having a doubt - i see through OEM that my database is PDSOURCE.TCSKOLKATA.CO.IN whereas it is UII.WORLD - and that's bcoz my domain name in the sqlnet.ora is TCSKOLKATA.CO.IN in one case whereas it WORLD in the other.
    so can one of u plzz list me the steps of what i have to do get that domain in both the cases to be the same.

plzz bear my ignorance.

thanks and regards.

i think that will involve a recreation of the control file of PDSOURCE.