DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dblink port info

dblink port info

Hi friends ,

i want to create dblink to one of our database, which is used to store web application data .

for some reason security/firewall setting i am not able to connect using dblink or connect scting ..

1) which port numbers do i need to enable to make connection ?
    2) is it a single port all the time or does it pick up randomly ?
    3) what problems can we encounter by opening ports ..

appreciate your help regarding this ..

Re: dblink port info

Originally posted by prakashs43
    Hi friends ,

i want to create dblink to one of our database, which is used to store web application data .

for some reason security/firewall setting i am not able to connect using dblink or connect scting ..

1) which port numbers do i need to enable to make connection ?
    2) is it a single port all the time or does it pick up randomly ?
    3) what problems can we encounter by opening ports ..

appreciate your help regarding this ..
    what platform? what kind of firewall?

you can always set a net trace to see if any port redirection is happening under the covers of the OS. Port redirecton is expected behavior on windooze although some firewalls can accomidate thie
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

DB Link work from tnsnames.ora. If you can use sqlplus to connect, you can use dblink. You will probably need to setup a connection manager or sqlnet proxy on your firewall to connect. More details would be helpful.
    Jeff Hunter

This is solaris Operating system

i am not able to do sqlplus using connect string to remote database .
    I am sure it is fro security reasons/ and firewall settings that i am not able to do sqlplus using connect string ..

if i have to approach network guys to enable port ..

what port should i have to tell them to enable . in order to make dblink work ...

this is an 8.1.6.3 database .
    Hi marist do i need to install is connection manager seperately or does it already installed with database ...

thanks for your advice

Connection manager does not sit on the database host, therefore it doesn't matter if it is installed or not.

Basically the way connection manager works is:
    1. your firewall guys open up a port and forward it to a host:port. That host:port is the host:port of your connection manager. It doesn't matter what port they open up on the firewall as long as it is forwarded to your connection manager.

2. Your connection manager redirects your connection request to the database host.

3. Database receives the connect request and sets up a connection with the connection manager host on your behalf.

4. connection manager shoves your data back through the firewall on the port you specify.

You have to setup connection manager behind the firewall and you have to tweak with your tnsnames.ora on the "client" (in this case your other db host) in order to get this to work. If you can connect through sqlplus from the "client", then you can connect through dblink.
    Jeff Hunter