DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I am a beginner, HELP ME!!!!

Question

Hello! everybody. I am currenty studying pl/sql on OCP DBA track, but I am having a hard time to connect the local database table(EMP,DEPT,..) to pl/sql so i can practice pl/sql using those tables. it may be an easy question ,but i really couldn't get it. i am looking forward to hear any response. Thank you.

Best regards jung

p.s i am using the personal oracle 8i
    :confused:

What user are you logging in as?
    (877)687-3227

Talking

Thank you for reply me. I am logging in pl/sql as;
    User ID:system
    Password:manager.

Best regards jung

Try logging in as scott/tiger.

You can run the following as sys or system:

select owner, table_name
    from dba_tables
    where owner not in ('SYS','SYSTEM');

This will give you the non-system table names and their owner. If you aren't the owner and there is not a synonym created for the table you need to reference the table as <ownername>.<tablename> as opposed to just by tablename. If you log in as the owner of course this is not necessary.

Joe
    (877)687-3227

Talking Serious question about my future.

Thank you very much joe! I am currently studying on OCP DBA exam, but it sounds like most of oracle DBA jobs require heavy experience ,and Developer has more chance to get a job if you don't have experience. I am still confused as to which way I should go to get a better chance ;DBA or Developer? seems to me if i know the DBA skill,it will be much easier to understand what the developer does. I know that most companies want a DBA or Developer with at least two years experience,but how can I get experience right after graduating from college?.so,could you tell me your experience when you got the first job in IT fields?

Secondly, Can you tell me about future DBMS market? Mostly, Oracle ,MS SQL Server,DB2,and Sybase.
    I am a MS sql Server MCP, but I believe Oracle is still the database software in highest demand on DBMS,ASP,B2B,ERP.. . ,but i think MS and IBM are trying to take over those markets .

Thanks for reading my questions, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards jung

I actually majored in psychology but did take some logic courses and such. I enjoyed working with computers though so worked in the laboratories while in school. After I finished I ended up doing some administrative assistant work for a large hospital and streamlined some of their processes with spreadsheets and such. I was asked at one point to work in the I.S. department doing support. From there I worked my way up to a systems management position in medical records and QA/UR managing a small network and a couple of databases. I went from there to another hospital systems as an analyst and ended up being the "go to" person when projects were running behind or had hit some kind of wall. We started getting a lot of databases in (SQL Server and Oracle) and they needed someone to manage them so I was asked to take them over. From there I ended up doing consulting work for a year doing Oracle installations/patches/ troubleshooting - mostly in nuclear power and large manufacturing industries. I didn't like the travel though which was much more than I was originally told it will be (which usually happens - esp w/ a smaller company) because of turnover so I moved on to Cintas.

As far as the developer market, someone else would probably be a better person to ask. I have done some development but haven't worked as a developer and so don't watch that market. I do know that the market for Oracle DBA's is great. I've worked w/ both SQL Server and with Oracle and I prefer to work with Oracle. The projects are usually more interesting because they are usually more involved and higher-scale projects. At the same time, a lot of shops have many more SQL Servers just because they are so cheap to deploy and as long as the application is well written, don't require a lot of maintenence. There have been a number of times where SQL Server was obviously a better choice because the system was small, not very mission critical, etc.. Any other time though I definately push for Oracle.

As far as the future of the DBMS market, I think it looks great all the way around. The market clearly continues to grow and the technology continues to grow as well to meet the increasing demands for storage, speed and flexibility. I think anyone who has good skills in this area isn't going to be hurting to find employment.

Joe

(877)687-3227