dcsimg
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need advice from a real DBA!!!

Hello,

I work for a small company and we are using Oracle8i database. We create application using Forms and Reports 6i. For the past few weeks, we have been noticing the decrease in speed, esp. when compiling forms or when people using applications. I was just wondering if you can give me some tips as to how to check and see what is cause of the speed issue.

Is there any particular things I can see or run to know just to start with and that might lead me to some kind of conclusion?

I know it's not something that can be answered just in a reply but if you can give some directions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Most of us just usually pretend to be one.

Re: Need advice from a real DBA!!!

Originally posted by see_one
    Hello,

I work for a small company and we are using Oracle8i database. We create application using Forms and Reports 6i. For the past few weeks, we have been noticing the decrease in speed, esp. when compiling forms or when people using applications. I was just wondering if you can give me some tips as to how to check and see what is cause of the speed issue.

Is there any particular things I can see or run to know just to start with and that might lead me to some kind of conclusion?

I know it's not something that can be answered just in a reply but if you can give some directions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    start by checking that the statistics on the tables are up to date and reasonably accurate.

Then isolate just one or two individual operations that are slow, and find out why.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Re: Re: Need advice from a real DBA!!!

Originally posted by slimdave
    start by checking that the statistics on the tables are up to date and reasonably accurate.

Then isolate just one or two individual operations that are slow, and find out why.
    In addition to the above, try running statspack. It should help you to find potntial problems.

btw, you might want to leave this out next time.

the thing with statspack is that you much have run it when everything is good as well - or how do you know what changed and went bad?

You might see something that looks wrong - fix it and users still complain. You are just tuning blindly, not fixing a specific problem

Tune your SQL.
    I remember when this place was cool.

I apprecaite your input but I am still confused what to do. Can I run statpack without affecting anything on the database?

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Tune your SQL.
    Finding sql statements that can be tuned is always a good first step, especially if you don't have a history of statspack reports. You need to start somewhere and start gathering information on what is happening in your database.

Besides, most performance problems relate to poorly tuned sql.

Did you stand up for me Mr. Hanky? * tear wells up in eye *

Forget statspack for now, as Dave pointed out you need to do a baseline when the database is healthy. At this point you have nothing to base your un-healthy DB off.

Could always shoot a few developers. you will at least feel better.

MH

Maybe you should hire a "Real DBA".