DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: KornShell

Unhappy

When I installed Oracle 8.1.6 on Red Hat Linux 6.2 a lot of scripts in $ORACLE_HOME/bin/ didn't work.

Today I figured out that they are written for Kornshell (#!/bin/ksh), and I had to change them.

I don't use Kornshell and I don't even have it installed on my machine.

The the question is: Is Kornshell a requirement for ORACLE?
    --
    Dmitri Don

There is no requirement for the shell in Linux. I would say, go ahead and install the korn shell if the scripts are using it. There is no requirement to have a Korn Shell as the Default Shell.

The default shell can be /bin/sh, /bin/csh, /bin/ksh, or /bin/bash, but the examples assume the Bourne shell (/bin/sh).

Strange thing is that ORACLE installer never asked me anything about shells, and did not even check mine shell... Very strange... but anyway thanks, will install Kornshell.
    --
    Dmitri Don

The Korn shell is pretty standard on all Unix systems. You usually have a choice between selecting from the Bourne shell, Korn shell (not to be confused w/ the musical group), and C shells. Most software vendors, including Oracle, assume that the person installing the software on a platform at least know the basics of that platform. This isn't a knock at all - I just want to suggest that if you are running Oracle on the platform and if you don't have any experience with it (which I am assuming because you didn't install all of the shells) that you pick up a book on the OS basics and read it carefully.

You shouldn't modify the Oracle supplied scripts in bin unless you have a good reason to.

BTW:

I didn't even realize that you had a choice to not install the basic shells w/ Linux. Are you sure they aren't installed?

Joe

(877)687-3227

What interesting is that when I installed Red Hat 6.2 it never asked me for choice of shells, so I installed default set of shells.

To make sure I don't have Kornshell installed I did:

[root@mylinux /root]locate ksh

and it returned me a 20 lines of crap but not ksh, then I went to /bin and I did not find it there, so I don't have it installed.

Anyway, now I will know that I need to have kornshell installed for Oracle.

[Edited by dmitri on 11-25-2000 at 06:52 PM]
    --
    Dmitri Don

Strange...

I'll have to remember to watch out for that if I go to 6.2
    (877)687-3227