DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Enterprise Manager 9i or 10g

Oracle Enterprise Manager 9i or 10g

I am considering using OEM to manage my databases. I am planning on making a new installation of OEM. The databases I'll be managing will be all 9i (9205) and a 10g Application Server (using on Forms and Reports).

Is there a big difference between OEM 9i and OEM 10g? It appears to me that OEM 10g simply has a bunch of grid-related things. Has anyone have experience with using both and can state some really compelling things to go to OEM 10g rather than using OEM 9i.

There is a big difference, 10G is web based and IMO not as user friendly as the 9 version. I would wait on the 10G version, we are in the process of testing it now. I am not thrilled with it, again this is apersonal preference.
    I remember when this place was cool.

I love these forum lingo - "IMO". It took about 5 minutes to figure out what that meant ... I assumed "In My Opnion".

Anyhow, other than the way the interface is delivered - C-S or Web-based - have you seen any features in 10g (again - other than grid stuff) that could be really be useful and considered a real value.

(Though I do thing the web-base-get-it-anywhere would be neat - but if it sacrificed user-friendibility).

Hard to say, a lot of it depends on your needs. Do you need the grid capability? It does have some nice "at a glance" features that 9i does not have. If you are the only DBA (and or sys admin) this could come in handy if you have multiple instances running on multiple boxes.
    Can't you just get a trial version of 10G and test it out?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by dbbyleo
    I love these forum lingo - "IMO". It took about 5 minutes to figure out what that meant ... I assumed "In My Opnion".
    ROTFL!!!
    Jeff Hunter

if you want to see OEM in 10g the way u saw in 9i . just install oracle 10g client .. this is not web based .

So, it sounds like OEM 10g is the way to go.

I guess if anyting, it has what OEM9i had + more.
    I was really thinking about taking the OEM10g training from Oracle. But after seeing that class covers mainly "Grid this" and "Grid that", I got uninterested in OEM10g, since we don't use grid.

I would be more interested in using OEM in core database administration - monitoring, performaning tuning, etc.

Has anyone taken this course from Oracle? And do you agree that the course basically covers mainly Grid related management?