DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ddatabase Migration from UNIX to Windows

Ddatabase Migration from UNIX to Windows

I need your help . I want to migrate a database from a UNIX box to Windows 2000 enviroment.

Kindly give me a brief outline of the steps I ought to follow.

Below r the steps I came up with

Create a database in Windows 2000 similar in structure as the one on a UNIX box . I'll archive that by creating a backup control file from the database on UNIX platform.

export the database (on the UNIX box) using EXPORT FULL DATABASE MODE. Unfortunately this exports all objects in the database, except those owned by the user SYS

import the database in Windows platform

edit the control file ( from UNIX box) & create a new control file pointing to the new locations of the datafiles,redologs etc in the windows enviroment

start the db

Regards

Telewa
    Telewa

not quite, dont need to do all the control file stuff.

Create the database on windows, create the data dictionary, the do a full export on Unix and import on Windows 2000 with ignore = y.

You will need to have precreated all the tablespaces for all the objects as well

Unfortunately this exports all objects in the database, except those owned by the user SYS
    uhhh wrong... when you do a full=y what does it stand for? Well... for an export it means you want the entire database including sys. For an import it means you want to import everything in the .dmp file.

to sucessfully do what it is you're proposing...
    1. create your database on windows.
    2. create all the necessary tablespaces.
    3. don't forget your temp and undo tablespace.
    4. create all the users.
    5. assign all the users thier tablespaces and give them quotas to them.
    6. go over to your unix box and export each schema you want. You could do a full export but if you do it individually you won't have to worry about the touser fromuser during the import. Remember if you were to take a full export, then do a full import you're going to bring in sys and systems objects and you don't want that.
    7. ftp your .dmp file(s) over to your windoz box.
    8. imp schema_owner/password file=your_dump.dmp full=y log=your_log.log
    9. have a nice day!

PS: plus if you export it on a per schema basis you won't have a huge .dmp file (that is if your database is big). Of course you could always do the filesize parameter and break it up.
    Last edited by OracleDoc; 09-10-2004 at 08:47 AM.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Full export is also fine for smaller Databases. It is going to skip sysCatalog ...
    Raghu

Always take more than you need, or that you THINK you need. You never know what you will be missing in an import, do the full export.

Aside from that listen to the above replies.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    uhhh wrong... when you do a full=y what does it stand for? Well... for an export it means you want the entire database including sys.
    uhh wrong...It will most certanly not export objects owned by sys, except for some exceptions (like auditing table and stuff like that). It should not and it will not export the stuff that makes up the data dictionary, that's for sure.

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    to sucessfully do what it is you're proposing...
    1. create your database on windows.
    2. create all the necessary tablespaces.
    3. don't forget your temp and undo tablespace.
    4. create all the users.
    5. assign all the users thier tablespaces and give them quotas to them.
    6. go over to your unix box and export each schema you want. You could do a full export but if you do it individually you won't have to worry about the touser fromuser during the import. Remember if you were to take a full export, then do a full import you're going to bring in sys and systems objects and you don't want that.
    7. ftp your .dmp file(s) over to your windoz box.
    8. imp schema_owner/password file=your_dump.dmp full=y log=your_log.log
    9. have a nice day!

PS: plus if you export it on a per schema basis you won't have a huge .dmp file (that is if your database is big). Of course you could always do the filesize parameter and break it up.
    I don't understand why making things complicated when they can be done simple! Why not simply do your steps 1.-3., skip the steps 4. and 5., in step 6. perform export with FULL=Y, do step 7., in step 8 do import with FULL=Y and finaly step 9.

BTW, in your scenario there should be at least one additional step between steps 8. and 9., where you should take care of the stuff that are missing in your newly created database. In short, if one follows your steps he will probably ended with pretty messed up database. On the other hand, if you do exp/imp with FULL=Y, there can't be any surprises.
    Last edited by jmodic; 09-12-2004 at 04:24 PM.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?