DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing and Reteriving Data in Japanese

Storing and Reteriving Data in Japanese

Hello All,
    I am working with Oracle 8i(8.1.7) database,OS is Windows(using English Language).I created a database on this machine to store Japanese data.During my creation of database i seleced UTF-8 as database character set and NLS_NCHAR_NCHARACTERSET as J16EUC(in anticipation that it is Japanese character set).Before this database creation,i was having another database on my machine with characterser as WE8ISO8859P1.But my NLS_LANG entry is still having only one entry as AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1.
    Finally, my problem is that how i can store and reterive Japanese data from thie new database.My type of solution will be great help for me.
    BRegards
    Kapil

Go to REGEDIT under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE-->Here in NLS_LANG u can change Character set as per your need.

I already have changed NSL_LANG to Japanese.Still when i try to wtite say a insert into a table (say)Emp with empno and ename as
    insert into emp values(1,'‚½‚ß‚ÄŽg‚¦‚éYahoo!ƒ|ƒCƒ“ƒg').
    when i try to extract it shows ename as ???Yahoo??.
    Can u suggest how i can say same when selecting from emp.

sethi_kapil

see in this box i entered certain japanese characters as ename in my previous post but its showing Garbag values.

insert into emp values(1,'say Japanese Characters');
    but i am getting garbage.

can u post the NLS_LANG settings from REGEDIT.Under Oracle u will find NLS_LANG at 3 locations.Did u changed all of them.
    Also look into the following link.
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p...5783936214008,

My NLS_LANG value earlier as one place was AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 and at other two places it was NA.now i have changed at all the places as Japanese_Japan.UTF8.I have restarted my database as well,still i can't see or store the database in Japanese.My OS is english based.So how i can store and reterive data from my database in Japanese Language.

There u are.Since your OS is pure english that's why it is not able to display japanese character set even though u are setting NLS_LANG settings.Use the OS which is japanese enabled i hope that your problem will be solved.

Check the following link which describes exactly your problem.
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...p_id=11697.996

Use UTF character set and national language as japanese

Hi,

You change your character set to UTF 8 or UTF 32. You must use win2000 having multilingual support. Change your regional setting to japanes and install fonts munch related fonts into your machine. after doing this go to sql prompt then you can see japanese fonts into your sql promp.(your OS must be in japanese).

Thanks akhadar and pbmistry,both of you given me new direction to think,i have to now check Japanese version of Windows,tough to find,still thanks to both of you.

Another query that is coming to my mind,if i choose Japanese OS,till i will be able to work with English data as well?I want to save and see both English as well as Japanese data.Is it possible.Or i should be able to store japanese data even if i am not able to see it.But finally my application is going to show data in browser(for english and japanese).How is that possible?