DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffer cache hit ratio low

If the table is not frequently updated and inserted, keeping the data in BUFFER POOL KEEP is the right choice. Please remember you need to have more memory, because DB_BLOCK_LRU_LATCH needs memory to maintain the KEEP buffer cache.

RECYCLE is another place when the table is very rarely updated or inserted.

If you are in shortage of memory, ALTER the table with CACHE parameter. This will keep data buffer in MRU of LRU list.

Today memory board is not costly, buy as much memory as you can. That will help you in the long run.

Talisman,

I was not aware of the memory requirements for the LRU latch, is the amount of memory significant, or does that depend on, as you were saying, the amount of updates going on in the table? I have a couple of small lookup tables that very rarely change that I have set to cache and put them in the keep pool. Each time I bring the database down I run a script that does a select * from them to push them up into the cache.

Would you happen to know how to determine how many lru latches that you need for each pool or should I just monitor the v$ tables and see how affective they are? I know you need to tune them but I was wondering how one determines the initial setting of them.

Joe
    (877)687-3227

Each LRU latch requires a minimum of 50 Oracle data blocks.

To figure out how many LRU latches are set up in the database, run the following SQL:

SELECT ID, NAME, SET_COUNT, BUFFERS, LO_BNUM, HI_BNUM
    FROM V$BUFFER_POOL;

The column, SET_COUNT refers to the number of LRU Latch sets available to each buffer pool.

Any suggestions on how to best determine how many latches to assign to a particular pool up front or do you just need to watch the sleeps and spins and tune accordingly?
    (877)687-3227