DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: recreating a database from a full export ?

recreating a database from a full export ?

I have been asked to device the strategy for recreating/rebuilding database from previous export(without data) ?. Objective is here to bring back the database incase of catastrophic error and then load the data from flat file stored somewhere else. There is no hot or cold backup for this database.

Can some one please advise me a note or link which can help me in step by step approach to do this so that I can test this in the test environment before I come across this situation in production at any day going forward? I have been put in this sitation in between where original plan dba is no more associated with the project. Do I have to take full export without data by connecting specifically as sys or sytem user ? This database is mostely read oriented and of around 4TB and having limited no of tablespace around 800GB each.

Appreciate and thanks for help in this regard.

Thanks,

You have a 4TB database that you aren't backing up? Yikes. Exp/Imp don't qualify as backups, really. Have you ever tried to import 4TB worth of data? Again, yikes!

I suggest you turn Archive logging on and start doing backups.
    What's the reason you aren't doing them now?

If you insist on doing exp/imp, I would do a schema level export with ROWS=no. When you import, that would give you the schema to import into. I would also import with INDEXES=no, and recreate them after the import... you'll at least get the data quicker that way. But be prepared for a long wait to get the data imported and then the indexes created.

Jodie

How long do you have to recover in case of catastrophie? The method you propose will be sloooow:
    1) recreate database (has to "format" 4TB - takes a while)
    2) import (no data) to create db objets - perhaps fast-ish
    3) reload data & build indexes - slow, very slow - look around on this site for tips to speed it up.

I'm pretty sure that restore (from backups) and recovery would be faster. DWH experts, do you agree?

A 4TB flat file, jeez, what do you call it, Texas?

Jeff will have a field day with this one.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    A 4TB flat file, jeez, what do you call it, Texas?

Jeff will have a field day with this one.
    Texas is just one BIG field

We just talking about export dump with out data. Looks like he just wants to build schemas first and load data from another source.
    Raghu