DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transporting Databases

Unhappy

Usually I move database ( as a whole - using operating system copy command ) from Oracle Server to personal Oracle where developers make special modifications to this databases.

I move it ordinary from FAT file System on NT server machines to FAT file system on Windows 98 machines , and directly make a new controlfile and open the database.

Lately I tried to make this operation on a new machine Windows 98 , but when it started to create the control file it stopped instantly after creating only 2 K Byte from the controlfile and returned and error ( ORA - 19502 ) stating that it could not open the file for writing and mentioning something about block size wherease block size for the both operating system is the same as FAT.

There are no confilcts with anyother controlfiles , Does the Operating system's file system has a factor on this operation ???

It is likely to happen also between NT servers but not much , am I missing something ???

Thank you.
    Hisham Nagia
    IT Manager For Development
    Oracle Consultant - OCP

Could it have something to do with FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems?

I can not tell exactly if file systems affects the whole issue but this is the only difference here ....
    Hisham Nagia
    IT Manager For Development
    Oracle Consultant - OCP

The cluster size in FAT is variable and it depends in the size of the partition (drive)
    So, if in one node you have a 1G drive and in the other 3G drive then there are diferences between both (16K to 32K I guess)
    Check the size of the old machine and the new.
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com