DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux - was:Installation log file + DBCA PB

I'm tempted to get Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) -- Workstation Edition, just to see if I can install Oracle 9i on it without all these peoblems.

Jeff would you post a link advising people on software to get if they wanted to go cold turkey on Windoze? You seem to be the expert on RH9.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    I'm tempted to get Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) -- Workstation Edition, just to see if I can install Oracle 9i on it without all these peoblems.
    I'd wondered about that kind of thing, but didn't want to spend $00's So, has anyone any experience with http://www.whiteboxlinux.org ?

I don't have it either, but I'm contemplating an upgrade.

Jeff would you post a link advising people on software to get if they wanted to go cold turkey on Windoze? You seem to be the expert on RH9.
    Oh, I don't know about that. I run RH9 at home and RH EL 3.0 at work. I went cold-turkey from W2K (at home) a little over a year ago because I was sick and tired of wasting time with virus scanners, pop-up blockers, and adware removers. For the things I want to do at home, RH9 is just fine for me. Most of the software that come with RH9 is fine. The only apps I have installed (above the base RH9) are:
    Mozilla Firebird
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    Cisco VPN
    Apache
    Oracle 9/10
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by DaPi
    I'd wondered about that kind of thing, but didn't want to spend $00's So, has anyone any experience with http://www.whiteboxlinux.org ?
    If you're going to experiment and you'll want to twiddle with Oracle, I'd just go with Fedora from RH.
    Jeff Hunter

Looks like that could well do it. Thanks for the hint Jeff.
    (I'll be back in a few days to do a double act with ptreeves ).

Originally posted by DaPi
    (I'll be back in a few days to do a double act with ptreeves ).
    As John Stuart would say, "Whaaaaaaa??????"

Originally posted by marist89

I don't have it either, but I'm contemplating an upgrade.

Oh, I don't know about that. I run RH9 at home and RH EL 3.0 at work. I went cold-turkey from W2K (at home) a little over a year ago because I was sick and tired of wasting time with virus scanners, pop-up blockers, and adware removers. For the things I want to do at home, RH9 is just fine for me. Most of the software that come with RH9 is fine. The only apps I have installed (above the base RH9) are:
    Mozilla Firebird
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    Cisco VPN
    Apache
    Oracle 9/10 [/B]
    One of the things that is keeping me from making the switch is that I am the editor of an outdoor newsletter in my spare time. www.pittecp.org

Jeff, brace yourself, I do the newsletter in Word 2000 , and believe it or not, Word Sucks!!!!!!

I'm haven't decided on what to switch to yet. Any ideas?

Jeff, brace yourself, I do the newsletter in Word 2000 , and believe it or not, Word Sucks!!!!!!

I'm haven't decided on what to switch to yet. Any ideas?
    RH9 comes with OpenOffice, a MS Office clone. In theory, you can import Word documents and work with them. I did my resume with it and it looks OK. It might be OK for something like a newsletter, but you'd have to futz with it.

As an alternative (albeit a sucky one), there is WINE, a windows emulator. You basically end up running a Windows window on your linux box and you can run windows apps.

Also, you could always dual-boot Windows and Linux. Not quite cold turkey, but gets you exposed to the technology. Better still, get yourself a new computer! (or get your work to get you a laptop since you always have to be on-call!)
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    (or get your work to get you a laptop since you always have to be on-call!)
    I'm a developer, on call doesn't exist for me. No pager, no laptop and they don't have my cell number. My time is my own.

But a laptop wouln't be bad in any case. I really want to get a 64 bit machine with a 64 bit os. I wonder if I can get Open VMS on a laptop?

Only if you can give them your system number.
    Jeff Hunter