DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what is the standard practice to upgrade Oracle DB bin dir during a patchset install?

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company

what is the standard practice to upgrade Oracle DB bin dir during a patchset install?

hi,

I have not install a patchset in a PRODUCTION Oracle DB,so would like to collect any feedback on the standard practices for doing that?
    Because i understand a patchset installation require it to be performed on the current Oracle Home directory where the production binaries and I guess it's not wise to overwrite that current binary dir,was thinking :

1) of doing a wholesale cp of the current binary into the new patchset version directory newly created and perform the patchset installation there ?? OR

2) Installing the current binary version again in the new patachset version newly created and then perform the patchset installation there ??

Are those industry standard practise?? Any DBA gurus can enlighten?

thanks in advance

Re: what is the standard practice to upgrade Oracle DB bin dir during a patchset inst

Originally posted by ngwh

2) Installing the current binary version again in the new patachset version newly created and then perform the patchset installation there ??
    That's the way I do it. New $ORACLE_HOME, patch new $ORACLE_HOME, shutdown db, startup with new $ORACLE_HOME, run catalog/catpatch scripts.
    Jeff Hunter

backup $ORACLE_HOME orainventory, apply patch, if anything goes wrong uninstall patch using OUI, if thing goes wrong after that restore orainventory and $ORACLE_HOME

pando,

ok assumming using your method what if I wanna change my $ORACLE_HOME which is say original under /usr01/9.2.0.1 ?? after i install that 9.2.0.5 patchset..can i rename that '9.2.0.1' UNIX directory into 9.2.0.5 ?? would there be any issue??

thks in advance

Instead of complicating the things better use Mr.Jeff option.

who on earth would want to rename ORACLE_HOME after apply a patch...?¿?

pando,

no...given a scenairo like :

/d01/9.2.0.1 is the original installation later if u wanna install a patchset 9.2.0.3 into /d01/9.2.0.1...then mabbe I wanna hv a direct /d01/9.2.0.3 ???..Dont think i can juz rename /d01/9.2.0.1 to /d01/9.2.0.3 rite?

of course not

again, who on earth would do that, you will be the first one I see...

you are breaking your orainventory