DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation log file + DBCA PB

Unhappy Installation log file + DBCA PB

Hello,

I just complete a reinstallation of Oracle 9i Database followed by the application of patch 9.0.2.0.5.

When I try to invoke the DBCA, I get java errors and nothing comes up. (java.Exceptions).

What should I be looking for in the installation log file to have some clues as to what is going on ?

PT

Can you specify what are the java exceptions?
    Oracle Certified Associate.

DBA & Programming.

Unhappy DBCA Java Exception Errors

Hello,

When invoking DBCA, this is what I get:
    ----
    ./dbca
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getOneLocalListenerProtocolAddress(NetworkUtils.java:1897 )
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getOneLocalListernetProtocolAddress(NetworkUtils.hava:196 2)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getOneLocalListernetProtocolAddress(NetworkUtils.hava:195 4)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getOneLocalListernetProtocolAddress(NetworkUtils.hava:194 6)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getOneLocalListernetProtocolAddress(NetworkUtils.hava:186 3)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getLocalListernerAddress(NetworkUtils.java:737)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.NetworkUtils.getLocalListenerAddresses(NetworkUtils.java:774)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util. NetworkUtils.needLocalListener(NetworkUtils.java:712)
    at oracle.sysman.assistant.util.step.StepContext.setListenersToUpdate(StepCOntect.java:486)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.Dbca.execute(Dbca.java:85)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.Dbca.main(Dbca.java:161)
    Exception in thread "main"
    -----

What is causing this DBCA invokation problem ?

PT

PS: Itried to reinstall, but I get the same PB.

which os ?

Unhappy OS

Hello,

I installed Oracle 9i Database + PatchSet 9.2.0.5 on Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) -- Workstation Edition.

Hope this helps ?

PT

Re: OS

Originally posted by ptreves
    I installed Oracle 9i Database + PatchSet 9.2.0.5 on Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) -- Workstation Edition.
    All yout fault Jeff

Unhappy DBCA PB

Hello,

I am particularly stuck by this problem.
    I have reinstalled Oracle 9i Database on my server for the 4th time now taking care to apply the latest patch 9.2.0.5.

I know that officially Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3 (WS) is not certified with Oracle. I am trying to have a deeper understanding of the source of this error for my own understanding and peace of mind ?

Is it OS related ?
    Installation PB ?
    etc...

PT

PS: I have been looking on Metalink, and I did not find anything on this. The Oracle 9i Installation guide also does not cover this.

Re: DBCA PB

Hello,

I am particularly stuck by this problem.
    I have reinstalled Oracle 9i Database on my server for the 4th time now taking care to apply the latest patch 9.2.0.5.
    I would be concerned with making sure the 9.2.0.1 base release installs correctly. Once you have verified that is OK, you could then install the 9.2.0.5 patch on top of it.

To me, it sounds like 1 of three problems:
    1. you have installed as root and oracle doesn't have permission to do anything.
    2. you don't have the correct libraries in your path and therefore the compile is incorrect.
    3. RH WS is significantly different than ES and AS such that you can't install correctly.

I'm betting on 1, 2 or both.
    Jeff Hunter

Unhappy Feedback

Hello Jeff,

This is the kind of feedback that I realy appreciate. I have reinstalled the software 4 times now, with the same problem occuring. BY posting these error messages on the web, I am trying to get a handle as to what I am doing wrong or missing during the installation process.

I am also well aware that Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) might not support an Oracle 9i Database INstallation. This is what I want to get to the bottom of.
    -----
    1) Also, since I already downloaded 9.2.0.4, how about if I would reinstall that under the oracle user and then apply PatchSet 9.2.0.5, would that be the same thing ?

It is little questions like that that I can't find in the installation guide or on Metalink and that other experienced DBA can assists me with.

2) Also, when you mention that I did not install the correct libraries so the compile is not done properly. I just followed the step-by-step requirements for the installation. I basically installed Oracle 9.2.0.4, and made sure that the jdk-1.3.1.09.i586.rpm (from Red Hat) was installed together with all other RPMs. So how could I not have the right libraries ?

PT

Re: Feedback

1) Also, since I already downloaded 9.2.0.4, how about if I would reinstall that under the oracle user and then apply PatchSet 9.2.0.5, would that be the same thing ?

It is little questions like that that I can't find in the installation guide or on Metalink and that other experienced DBA can assists me with.

You're having so many problems installing, I wouldn't worry about putting a 9.2.0.5 patchset on until I knew I had a clean install. Concentrate on installing the base release you downloaded. Once you have that installed and working, THEN apply the patch. The software MUST NOT be installed as root, but as another os user (like oracle).

2) Also, when you mention that I did not install the correct libraries so the compile is not done properly. I just followed the step-by-step requirements for the installation. I basically installed Oracle 9.2.0.4, and made sure that the jdk-1.3.1.09.i586.rpm (from Red Hat) was installed together with all other RPMs. So how could I not have the right libraries ?

PT
    I am not talking about the java libraries. For example, RHEL 3.0 ships with gcc 3.2.3. You have to repoint gcc to the 2.9.6 version in order for Oracle to compile correctly. I believe you have make errors during the install.
    Jeff Hunter