DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommended practice for creating custom indexes on oracle tables

Originally posted by marist89
    Not for me.
    Not even explain plan, you can very well say whether the index will be helpful by seeing the query.. (most of the times)
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Not even explain plan, you can very well say whether the index will be helpful by seeing the query.. (most of the times)
    I didn't say the query plan wasn't needed, I just don't have all the information I need with EXPLAIN PLAN. To me, a query plan without waits doesn't really tell me much.

For example, the query plan tells me the query is using an index. Big deal. There may be 100,000 LIOs, 50,000 recursive calls for TEMP, and 1200 buffer busy waits. That tells me the query plan may be wrong for this statement or my parameters are wrong on the instance.

Is EXPLAIN PLAN good for developers? Sure. However, I don't get involved until the developers can't figure out why their query is slow. That's just my environment.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    I didn't say the query plan wasn't needed, I just don't have all the information I need with EXPLAIN PLAN. To me, a query plan without waits doesn't really tell me much.

For example, the query plan tells me the query is using an index. Big deal. There may be 100,000 LIOs, 50,000 recursive calls for TEMP, and 1200 buffer busy waits. That tells me the query plan may be wrong for this statement or my parameters are wrong on the instance.

Is EXPLAIN PLAN good for developers? Sure. However, I don't get involved until the developers can't figure out why their query is slow. That's just my environment.

Well Well Plan will not tell you where your session is waiting on.. but you can suerly comprehend where the problem is ( in that tree structure ) provided you have analyzed your query throughly.. By doing so you can be sure that index used in that plan may worse or better things.. In this context i meant plan is enough to tell you where your problem lies.. not necessary to wait for your sessions to complete and then do a analysis..

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Well Well Plan will not tell you where your session is waiting on.. but you can suerly comprehend where the problem is ( in that tree structure ) provided you have analyzed your query throughly.. By doing so you can be sure that index used in that plan may worse or better things.. In this context i meant plan is enough to tell you where your problem lies.. not necessary to wait for your sessions to complete and then do a analysis..

Abhay.
    Great. That's the way you do it. That's not the way I do it.
    Jeff Hunter