DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate database with RMAN to new machine

Duplicate database with RMAN to new machine

Okay, all you RMAN experts out there!

I have an 8.1.7 database that I'm backing up to Disk using RMAN.
    I want to create a duplicate of that database on a DIFFERENT machine. I want the duplicate to run a test upgrade to 9i.

The catches are:
    The 8.1.7 db is 32 bit on AIX 4.3.3
    The new box is AIX 5.2, and only has Oracle 9i, which is 64 bit.

So, can I create the duplicate even if 8i isn't on the new box? Are the word differences going to cause me a problem?

Thanks a bunch!

I haven't cloned with RMAN. But logically speaking - no you can't perform a restore to a machine which doesn't have the required database software. If you don't have 8i installed on the new machine, how are you gonna bring the database up?

Just noticed - different OS too. Nope, you can't restore databases from one OS to another. 10g makes it possible..not 9i.

Originally posted by Axr2
    I haven't cloned with RMAN. But logically speaking - no you can't perform a restore to a machine which doesn't have the required database software. If you don't have 8i installed on the new machine, how are you gonna bring the database up?
    Well, that's the thing. I don't want to bring it up. I just want to mount it and run the upgrade to 9i scripts.

The OS was the other main concern. They're both AIX, but different versions.

The database is really tiny, but I can't use exp/imp because it has LONG RAW columns.... hmmmm

Any other ideas would be great!

Well, that's the thing. I don't want to bring it up. I just want to mount it and run the upgrade to 9i scripts.
    You still need the software to mount the database.

> The database is really tiny, but I can't use exp/imp because it has LONG RAW columns.... hmmmm

So? Why can't you exp? Do you get errors? If so, what?

dont need the 8i software to mount the database - how else do you upgrade a database - must mount it with the new oracle software

Originally posted by davey23uk
    dont need the 8i software to mount the database - how else do you upgrade a database - must mount it with the new oracle software
    So you're saying she would be able to mount 8.1.7 datbase (32 bit 4.3.3) with a 9i 64 bit on 5.2? And her upgrade scripts would run fine?! I find that pretty hard to believe. If at all, wouldn't she atleast have to convert from 32 to 64bit, before even attempting an upgrade?

well i dont know about the aix bit - never used it, but on Solaris you sure can do it.

Shutdown the 8i instance, startup migrate with the 9i software - run the migration scripts and then open.

I've done this many times with 8i 32 bit to 9iR2 64 bit

you can mount a 8i database with 9i binaries with no problems

im just curious as to how you think you can migrate a database without mounting an 8i database with 9i binaries (or using exp/imp)