DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup strategy

Hello,everyone,
    My Databse is running with 24x7 mode.But it's impossiple to require production stop for doing a DB cold backup fequently. So I think my backup strategy will only depent on onling backup every day and expoting data every week,won't it? And any other suggestion will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

yeah, that's the way it's done. You should have one "master" cold backup to start with though...

Monika

standby DB is good option

We have 24x7 quite critical system (kind of US911 but for Iceland ) and standby DB is a nice solution. It can be created w/o stopping main db from hot backup (if interested, I have intructions for WinNT but generally the only difference from normal db is that you have to use "alter database mount standby database" instead of just "startup mount" before restoring DB from hot backup) and then you can make backups of standby db instead. If you have to recover activating standby is much faster than recovering main db.

Hi,LND,
    Please give me detail information about setting up standby DB. Thanks in advance.

Consider RMAN, space consuming but very nice and follows the "standby db theory"

???

Impliment a hot backup stratagy, using RMAN. Or the conventional, by puttin g the tablespaces in hot backup mode.
    Copy the Datafiles and then pu the tablespaces of the hot backup mode.

Do a log switch and then copy the archivelogs files.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.

sorry for late answer, but I check this site only time from time. If still interested in standby DB for NT and 816, give me your mail (mine is lnd@hnit.is), I will send back MS Word doc.

Is it possible to get the messages to forum by e-mail or news reader - e-mail is something that runs on my workstation constantly.