Hi,

I have a index tablespace which includes 6 different data files on 2 different mount points (Solaris 5.8). 2 of the 6 data files are set to 'autoextend = true', while the others are set to false. Right now, overall this tablespace is about 95% full, while for the 2 autoextendable tablespaces, one is 100% full, the other is 98% full. Most of the available space resides in one of the un-autoextendable tablespace.

My question is --

Shall I add a new data file for this tablespace (or increase the size of one/more existing data file), or I should rely on the auto extendable data file to increase its own size when the whole tablespace becomes full?

Right now for the 6 data files for this tablespace, they are sized around 3000MB to 4000 MB each. So in case I choose to not rely on the data file to extend itself automatically, shall I increase the size of an existing data file or add a new one?

When there are 6 data files for one tablespace, how are they being used? In a round robin fashion of what? (assuming more than one file has space available).

Thanks a lot,
Elaine