DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN Restore Question...

Thumbs up RMAN Restore Question...

I Guys,
    I have a small query, hope you experts can help me out.

My Oracle 9.2.0.5 runs on the Windows server and a Hot RMAN full backup is taken every Saturday and incremental on rest of the days on the Tape.
    Now I want to create a new database using this backup set on a new server. I have just installed oracle on this new server with the same directory structure and created the database using the parameter file of the source database (So DB name etc is same).

Now here I have two questions.
    1. Suppose my DB crashes on Thursday, so how many backup sets do I need to copy on this new server…
    2. Do I need copy this backup set to a specific directory in the new machine because as I issue the command ‘Recover Database’, oracle will find the backup from where?

Hope I’m clear enough in stating my problem.
    Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks in Advance

Sandycrab
    "Greatest Rewards come only with Greatest Commitments!"

Re: RMAN Restore Question...

Originally posted by sandycrab

1. Suppose my DB crashes on Thursday, so how many backup sets do I need to copy on this new server…

depends on whether your level 1 backups are cumulative or not. If they are cumulative, you will need Saturday's level 0 and Wednesday's level 1 (assuming no new datafiles were added). If it is not a cumulative, you will need Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's backups.

2. Do I need copy this backup set to a specific directory in the new machine because as I issue the command ‘Recover Database’, oracle will find the backup from where?
    If you backed up to disk, the easiest way to do it is to put your backupset in a directory that is named the same as on your prod server. In Unix this is easy because we have soft links, but Windoz might be a little more difficult.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks a lot Jeff for your Rocket fast reply and timely help.
    --Sandeep
    "Greatest Rewards come only with Greatest Commitments!"